R.E.M. Sigh.

What's Hot

Comments

• They're ok....ish! Nice jangly/arpeggio...ish guitar parts that are fairly easy enough to play (even I can bang a few out) but some of the song lyrics are just plain silly. Someone thought I liked them enough to get me an REM tab book one Crimbo!!!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    They had some good moments down the years. I'm not a huge fan and the stuff they did that appeals to me most is the stuff that REM fans generally don't like (the more accessible stuff).

Near Wild Heaven is probably my favourite tune of theirs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    ICBM said:
    I think there are great songs on every album - including Around The Sun, which I know I'm unusual in liking, but I really do (Leaving New York and The Outsiders are two of my favourites).

I could just just as easily have made my top five Fables Of The Reconstruction, Green, Automatic For The People, Monster and Accelerate.
    I really like Around the Sun too, The Outsiders is a gem.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1204
    I've also missed Reveal, which isn't their best but I love Imitation of Life, and it was the first REM record I really got into.
    Funnily enough, I've had that one in the car for the last couple of weeks and have really enjoyed it. It's Buck's parts that have jumped out at me: lots of simple, single-note connecting parts that really make the songs.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    I love All The Way To Reno as well. Buck's guitar sounds on both Reveal and Around The Sun are some of my favourites.

I've been listening to their entire catalogue in order for the last few days and if anything I'm even more sure that I like the very late albums at least as much as the early.

That makes me feel slightly guilty because I love Bill Berry's drumming :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    The guitar solo sound on She Just Wants to Be is one of my favourites, I have a soft spot for that album too.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    edited August 2016
    I saw them with U2 in 85 and they were dire (oddly Peter Buck said it was their worst performance ever later on), so I didn't take much notice for a couple of years, but then totally loved them.

No order, but

Life's Rich Pageant

Monster

Document

Automatic

Green  / Fables, can't decide 

Edit: p.s. Is this the place to say 'If you want to ask Mr Buck...' - nah, getting old now innit?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    I'm also really liking Collapse Into Now, the very last album - I admit haven't really listened to it properly (or more than once, possibly!) before.

In fact Accelerate is the album I like *least* of the post-Berry ones, to my surprise. It sounds a bit too much like they were "trying to recapture the early days" when really those had gone forever.

When I've finished I'll go back to the start and see if I do actually like the early days better...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    For an avowed earlier-REM fan like myself, I didn't even realise this was a thing...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Album-R-E-M/dp/B00AOG6NR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470213927&sr=8-1&keywords=rem+original+album+series

...CDs of all five studio albums from Up to Collapse Into Now in a single box for about a tenner.  Think I will get this rather than dipping into them piecemeal from various streaming services, and finally give them all a proper listen.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    For an avowed earlier-REM fan like myself, I didn't even realise this was a thing...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Album-R-E-M/dp/B00AOG6NR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470213927&sr=8-1&keywords=rem+original+album+series

...CDs of all five studio albums from Up to Collapse Into Now in a single box for about a tenner.  Think I will get this rather than dipping into them piecemeal from various streaming services, and finally give them all a proper listen.
    There is definitely more than ten quid's worth of songs on those albums. Bargain!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I don't care much for R.E.M., but even I own New Adventures In Hi-fi. It is worth it for the song Leave alone...despite the car alarm noise all the way through it.

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I used to love REM, saw them for the first time at the end of 1984 at the Caley Palais in Edinburgh. I wasn't nearly as into any of their albums after Green though, not even sure why - actually not even all that keen on that one! I still think the first five albums are brilliant though.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I don't care much for R.E.M., but even I own New Adventures In Hi-fi. It is worth it for the song Leave alone...despite the car alarm noise all the way through it.
    Leave is good, but the next track Departure has one of my favourite distorted guitar sounds ever. Raunchy as fuck.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    One of the later songs but I do love this:

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    Bad Day is a fantastic song. If it wasn't a partial re-write of It's the End of the World... it would be among their very best.

Memories of Glastonbury still large in my mind 13 years on. I wish I had that concert on video. There's a couple of youtubes but they're not great. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566

I've been giving these some heavy rotation since they arrived, and while it doesn't change my list, a few observations...
    • Up is far better than I remembered...it hangs together much better than New Adventures in my book, which I always thought was a bit of a dog's breakfast, saved by a couple of great tracks (E-bow, Electrolite)
    • Reveal is OK.
    • Around The Sun is pretty poor.
    • Accelerate sounds forced...I was disappointed with it when it first came out, and a bit of time and perspective hasn't helped one jot.
    • Collapse Into Now, like Up, much much better than I remembered.  A good way to sign off.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • ewalewal Frets: 2580
    I saw REM at Nightmoves in Glasgow in 1984 - that and their appearance on The Tube round about the same time completely sold me. As such, I'm an IRS era fan:

5) Document
    4) Fables of the Reconstruction/ Reconstruction of the Fables
    3) Lifes Rich Pageant
    2) Murmur
    1) Reckoning
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    Brilliant band on record and live - massive influence on so much music that came after!

• Due to a (very generous) relative insisting I open a present early I am now working my way through this bad boy:

http://drownedinsound.com/releases/20465/reviews/4152091

Mmmmmmmm. 
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Nice!