Recommend me some ear plugs...

What's Hot
SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
My band play at ridiculous volumes (seriously!) and now I'm getting on a bit, I feel the need to protect my hearing a little. Not very rock and roll, I know, but needs must etc...

I'm looking for something sub £20, just to take the edge off. A few db cut will be fine and no need for anything fancy as we don't play/practice very often any more.

I've seen some "mold your own" kits for £15 ish but no idea if they're any good?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Well done for admitting you need hearing protection, that's the first step. 

The Elacin/ACS ER-20 plugs are a decent universal plug and less than £15. You'll notice some drop off with higher frequencies but preventing any more damage to your ears is bloody important!

I used those for a while before getting some custom mounded plugs from ACS (which were expensive but honestly worth every penny). 

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited July 2016
    Look at the current Kickstarter campaign for the Flare Isolates. If they're anything like the in ear headphones they did a while back they'll be great!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/584645150/isolate-switch-off-your-ears?ref=discovery

Edit: I should add that I've been using a set of ACS custom molds for 6 years or so and highly recommend them. £150 really is a small price to pay to protect your hearing.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Slimbert said:
    My band play at ridiculous volumes (seriously!) and now I'm getting on a bit, I feel the need to protect my hearing a little. Not very rock and roll, I know, but needs must etc...

I'm looking for something sub £20, just to take the edge off. A few db cut will be fine and no need for anything fancy as we don't play/practice very often any more.

I've seen some "mold your own" kits for £15 ish but no idea if they're any good?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Without trying to sound like a wanker here, is 'sub £20' the actual value you place on your hearing??

Get some proper moulded ACS plugs made, they are around £150, and worth EVERY penny as @not_the_dj has said. These £20 'quick fixes' are just that. 

If if your band are seriously loud as you say, get a pair of the moulded plugs, it'll be the best gear investment you'll make. 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    I bought a set of £15 mould-yourself plugs.
    They didn't really work for me- the fit wasn't quite right and once you've done the mould you can't reset it.

I ended up going for some Read Audio custom plugs (along with their IEM's) and they are fantastic.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    As the above comments, I tried most of the cheap ones and never even got through one gig with any of them. Bought some acs ones for £140 and the difference is world's apart. Still getting used to them but I'd say don't skimp.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    I also got the ACS moulded plugs. They attenuate very well, keeping the EQ almost flat but at a significant reduction in volume. I would never gig or go to a gig without them now. At £140ish they're they best value piece of musical gear I have ever bought.
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

Another vote the ACS custom (-17db filter in mine)

A case of too little too late but they really help these days