T&sser bar owner

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
We played our first ever few gigs at a particular pub. 

It then changed management and I've been in touch with the new guys. 

They wanted us to do a short-notice gig for 3 hours - I think they balked at the rate we told them, which isn't high at all and what we used to get. Anyway, we couldn't do it anyway - there are 6 of us and we have to plan in advance, plus we've a new drummer so we're still polishing songs. 

I gave him 4-5 band suggestions as he said a few weeks later that he was struggling to get bands. Last night I asked again about a gig in Sept/Oct and the cheeky b&gger said he wants us to do a few songs at their free open-mic night affair on a Thursday to "see what we've got." He knows we've played other places, have the setlist, he's heard our demo and seen videos, I think he's had two bands play now that I suggested that never had to do this - the cheek of it! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    TBH I'm considering doing a duo acoustic/singer thing as we'll get a LOT more gigs in Edinburgh that way. 
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    Been there, done that. One particular venue had us play a full gig for free on a Tuesday night (our second gig, would have been rehearsing that night so it was a bonus) with a view to getting regular slots. We filled the place on what would have been an empty pub and never heard back from them again. No great loss as there are other gigs/venues willing to put us on.
    I agree with a gig being substituted as a practice. 
    That sucks, though. 
    The more we've played, it seems the less money we make. 
    To be honest, I don't do it for the money.. unfortunately we've got zero gigs in sight. I'm starting to think I need to move up in a gear into a different band (whilst taking our absolutely sh!t-hot new drummer...) but looking on joinmyband, the ads are pretty depressing!
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 607
    Tell em to get stuffed,cancel the gig if they are asking you to do that , youve already played there before and been asked back so you're obviously up to the job, Lifes too short for shit venues and freebies
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah there's no way we're going to do it - seems to be a different rule for us than others, even though I've helped him out! 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    I firmly belive you should know and establish your value. As soon as you drop that value you can't get it back. If it's do one free and we'll book you take three gigs for the price of two. They are then committed to paying you anyway, both parties took a shared risk and are equal partnwrs. Otherwise f#ck um.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    looking on joinmyband, the ads are pretty depressing!
    That's because the good guys don't need such websites, Tiggs.
    So what do they need? Lol.
    So what do they need? Lol.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Word of mouth. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Come on then guys, TommySixString needs some gigs lol..
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    If you want to do originals, you need to be out and about mixing with other bands doing similar things, or at the open mic type sessions that happen.

For covers, the best bet is to do similar but take on dep slots wherever you can.

Its quite difficult to make the initial break-in but after that...
    It's just covers with our 6-piece for now.
    I'm hoping to do some open mic nights with one of our singers... should be cool. Proper fingerstyle guitar and all that!