Winding and making a Deacci Humbucker

What's Hot
deaccideacci Frets: 41
edited July 2016 in Made in the UK
Full Photo Series at the following link, hope you enjoy!

http://deacci.com/making-a-deacci-humbucker/

Declan Larkin  |  Deacci Guitar Pickups
www.deacci.com  |  +44 7799 417775
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Nice! 
    I was curious about you saying the winding pattern is based on the Fibonacci sequence. Can you elaborate on that a little? I'm always interested in applications of maths, and this is a new one to me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • deaccideacci Frets: 41
    Sure Mart, as you know there are presently 2 ways to wind pickups, by hand,  sometimes called scatterwond, or by machine. Machines like to wind perfect coils, i.e the same number of turns per layer of windings throughout the coil. By hand things are much less pecise. A skilled winder can aim for a target TPL but it is going to vary above and below that target, and when doing much wider scatter it is more feel that gets you to the final pickup as opposed to being able to follow the digits of a counter at up to 1000 rpm.
    For me, hand wound pickups were not consistent enough, but when you get them right they are beautiful

By luck i found another small business that was making a batch of cnc winders that allowed direct programming of every single layer of windings. This is something that is not possible on large  industrial cnc coil winders, which makes sense ... they want and prefer pefect as that is what is best for just about every other application of coil winding

So i developed software that generates the scripts to run the winder. But i needed an anchor point, a way to randomise or scatter the windings above and below a target tpl and after some experiments the Fibonacci sequence became that anchor. It is found everywhere in nature. But think about how it is found in nature i.e. proportions of things....  so i use fibonacci to determine the proportons of windings above and below a target TPL,  and where above and below that target they appear. There is more to it than this but thats the basics

So my script generator software allows an almost infinite number of patterns to be generated, its the script kitchen for want of a better way of putting it. In and of itself it is useless, there are many paramaters that need to be fed into the recipe for any given script, and only an understanding of how they affect a pickups final tone will allow you to cook up a good script

Why did i choose Fibonacci ? It just looked right to my mind, whch was the mind of a hand winder. It was an elegant soluton that just looked nicer in the bar chart maps I created of how the windings were going to be divided up into a collecton of layers with different turns per layer.

The more difficult problem was ensuring every layer of windings stayed centered on the bobbin, thats one of the reasons my scripts are so complex. Every time the pitch (tpl) changes an adjustment to the feeder head position needs to be made.

I hope that in part answers your question, to my knowledge no-one else does anything remotely like this with a machine winder.

Here is a short clip of part of a strat single coil being wound... every time it slows down a pitch change is happening

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Aargh!  Missed the brilliant 79.99 offer for a
    set of cream Green Faze!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • deaccideacci Frets: 41
    edited August 2016
    Hi Chalky
    The  crazy unsustainable 79.99 offer was unfortunately only temporary. Might be possible again if I move to China, however Mrs Deacci prefers the cold and the wet, so I blame her for current pricing.

The 30 day money back guarantee is also a kind of a challenge to you......it's not just no quibble.

Updated 4th Aug 2016: http://www.deacci.com/tc
    Now 90 days !!

I will customise the wind to suit you , just drop me an email or a phonecall and we can discuss what you are putting them into, what rig you are using, how and where you will be playing them and how you want them to sound.

Fast turnaround and shipping. This is my full time job so your not going to be waiting weeks, more likely a few days at most depending on what i have on at the time.

How good are they going to sound ? If you want to compare them to ANY other pickup ever made from any winder, in any country at any time and they dont stack up, then i want to know about it.

Here is what one very recent customer did with a set....

http://deacci.com/pure-vintage-is-in-a-real-1959-les-paul/

At current pricing, if you can honestly find a better set i will give you them for free.

All that said..... until Sunday 31st

"Chalkysfaze" is now a promocode that will apply a 10% discount and free shipping to the shopping cart for anyone who reads this post.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited August 2016
    IMO there are no better sounding pickups available.  In my main Les Paul I've had Bare knuckles, peter Florence, Sheptones and many more, my Deacci P1s have been in there for years and can't see me ever trying anything else they really are perfect. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks John,
    I have just updated our Orders, Returns & Refunds policy yesterday. It is now the most generous returns policy in the pickup winding business and reflects my confidence in the product. 

90 days to try your pickups, and we even pick up return postage costs too if for any reason a customer wants to return a set.

www.deacci.com/tc

I don't ever recall a set coming back because someone didn't like them.

The 90 day policy also allows you to test and use the pickups. Its not one of these return policies where everything must be in untouched condition for it to be valid.  

The warranty against defects probably needs very little explanation..... it is a lifetime warranty. i.e if you are alive and I'm alive and the pickups for any reason are not.. I will repair them free of charge.
  • Thanks John,
    I have just updated our Orders, Returns & Refunds policy yesterday. It is now the most generous returns policy in the pickup winding business and reflects my confidence in the product. 

90 days to try your pickups, and we even pick up return postage costs too if for any reason a customer wants to return a set.

www.deacci.com/tc

I don't ever recall a set coming back because someone didn't like them.

The 90 day policy also allows you to test and use the pickups. Its not one of these return policies where everything must be in untouched condition for it to be valid.  

The warranty against defects probably needs very little explanation..... it is a lifetime warranty. i.e if you are alive and I'm alive and the pickups for any reason are not.. I will repair them free of charge.