East Anglia GearFest SAT 14 SEPT **2013**

What's Hot

Comments

• EyUp!

My first post on this new forum:

As I mentioned before, things are not too good at the Magpie, although if Graham & Rachel are still operational at the time, I'm sure they will accommodate us. I can also ask about our Village Hall, and so long as it is available at the time I'm sure there will be no trouble getting it.

May I suggest 15th September?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited August 2013
    Welcome to  theFB , Pip. :)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27429
    May I suggest 15th September?

Consider it suggested.  Date's fine with me.

Where is your local village with the hall?

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Stonham Aspal. The VH is well kept, has kitchen facilities, and even a bar-room (but I don't know if there is anyone licenced to run it). Unfortunately the village pub (the Ten Bells) closed a few months ago and I won't go into who's to blame for that. I'll try to remember to enquire about the VH for 15/9.

Assuming we do use our VH, depending on who's coming (and for how long we will all be in there etc) it might be nice to get some munchies going ... eg I live close enough to bring a slow cooker full of chilli con carne or similar so it won't be necessary to go home hungry.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    edited August 2013

Ahhhh ... are you involved in the campaign to save it?

I remember when it used to do decent food, and was pretty busy.

it might be nice to get some munchies going ... eg I live close enough to bring a slow cooker full of chilli con carne or similar so it won't be necessary to go home hungry.
    Good idea.  I'll be able to contribute something.
  • TTony said:

Ahhhh ... are you involved in the campaign to save it?

I remember when it used to do decent food, and was pretty busy.

it might be nice to get some munchies going ... eg I live close enough to bring a slow cooker full of chilli con carne or similar so it won't be necessary to go home hungry.
    Good idea.  I'll be able to contribute something.
    nice one

the Ten Bells 'died' mainly because the village residents didn't drink there. Natch there were other contributing factors but that was the main one. There have been a lot of people saying they'll volunteer this or that ... but so far there is no evidence that if it re-opened (under local voluntary management or otherwise), the village residents would actually go and drink in there!

I don't wish the project any ill will, but tbh I can't see it working. If the village wanted a pub, the Ten Bells would not have closed.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I can make it on 15th Sept from about 7pm, barring Acts Of God or an offer of paid giggage (which pretty much comes to the same thing).
    I can bring and play drums / keyboard / bass / PA & vocals gear as well as guitar stuff if required, although I'll be a bit miffed if I have to play drums all evening and don't get to play guitar! ;-)
    I can offer lifts from Cambridge and back leaving at 6ish (though see above regarding possibility of my non-attendance, which I put at 20%)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I should be around, like Bigjon, again baring acts of God, hospitalisation or death (The chance of a paying gig is highly unlikely)

Again anyone from St.Ives/Huntingdon or along the route (Cambridge/Newmarket etc) is more than welcome to get a lift.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
    tFB Trader
    I think I'll be able to make it.
  • I have discussed it with Graham & Rachel at The Magpie. Their attitude is they are more than willing to have us, but that is subject to their still being at The Magpie on 15th Sept.

Graham does have a house PA. His mixer is a 4 channel Alesis jobbie, which is OK for vocals. In a venue that size, there would be little need to mic or DI instruments from the backline. 

He always keeps his beer nicely. Food will be burger&chips, or bigbreakfast-style heart disease platter (sausage, bacon, egg, mushroom, tomato, baked beans etc).

I think this should be Plan A, with Stonham Aspal Village Hall being Plan B.
    I think this should be Plan A, with Stonham Aspal Village Hall being Plan B.

Sounds good to me.  Is the Village Hall free too, and would we need to book it?
  • We would need to book it. Tis not free, probably £30 which won't break the bank. I am aware that we need sufficient notice from the Magpie about non-availability in order to book the VH.
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    I'll probably not be able to attend on the 15th. :(
  • LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1198
    edited August 2013
    I won't be able to make the 15th I'm afraid but hopefully it will be a success so I can make the next one!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    The 15th is a good date for me you'll all be sad to learn.

I can't ring Geoff at the limes because it's his birthday today and he's erm....relaxed I think.

I shall ask soon if we can get the Limes for free (possible if they have no function the night before or conference with an early start Monday morning).

There is another venue possibility up/down the road from there. The Swan, OK the beers average and the food is a protected species but the back room could be available (if I ask Richard nicely). 

As a PSA there is a chariddy jam at the Swan Needham Market in the afternoon of Sunday 25th August for the annual bash. Starts about 1pm and ends early eve when folks drift off. Lots of quality muso types and one of the better sets that I ever attend.

Anyway I will try for the limes as a freebee first. Watch this space once Geoff loses the hangover.

tFB Trader
    Good stuff. 
    I should imagine for those not from Suffolk proximity to the A14 will be an important factor.
    Good stuff. 
    I should imagine for those not from Suffolk proximity to the A14 will be an important factor.

All these places should be close enough to the A14. 

Even the Magpie / Stonham Aspal hall is only a 5min drive (on other "A" roads off the A14) so all easy to find, plenty of parking, etc.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2926

Ooh, can I play?

Ah, Sundays aren't good for me :(

• There's been a few who have said Sundays are not good OR that the 15th isn't good (but other Sundays may be).

What if we suggested Sat 14th instead? Would that inconvenience more people than Sunday 15th? I originally didn't suggest the Saturday because of the possibility of there being an acoustic Open Mic night on, but since I host it I think I have the right to cancel it - especially as the last 2 months have seen not enough interest to make it worthwhile taking the equipment to the pub!
    tFB Trader
    I think the Saturday would be fine as well. I'm a sad bastard with no life so you can probably take it as read that I can make it :)