PA for acoustic duo

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
edited July 2016 in Live
Thinking about doing guitar + vox and might need our own PA. Think for guitar an acoustic amp is overkill - if I could get a sound desk that has phase inversion on it, that'd be perfect (unless you are better to invert at source). 

All early days but would be looking for it to be small and portable (I like the look of those Bose L1 systems but not sure if suitable), for pub-type acoustic gigs. Not too expensive but reliable.  I'm talking about the whole chain - console + speaker(s??) etc. Other band have own PA so while I'd love for this new PA to be able to handle a whole rock band, that'd be too costly and big compared to an acoustic duo set-up, I'm guessing...

Recommendations ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The L1 would be great for the duo, but certainly not powerful enough for the band.  I would go for a couple of quality 10 or 12" or even 15" tops on poles, something like an RCF 710a, or EVZLX's  that way you could add some subs later and use it for the full band, a desk, there are a million options, the Behringer Xenyx range are great value if you want analogue, just decide how many inputs you will need, how many Auxilliary (monitor) mixes you want and go from there
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited July 2016
    I'll check that out later but fewer poles and speakers and less weight is definitely preferred 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397
    Why do you want to invert the phase of a signal for an acoustic duo ? I mean if you do need to flip the phase of something and there isn't a phase switch then simply wire a mic lead with pin 2 and 3 swapped over one end

Bose L1 model 2 system is superb for acoustic pub gigs, we have 2 of them  but they are very pricey .... you can carry it in one hand though with your guitar in the other :)

Small desk and a couple of active tops on stands will get the job done for a lot less
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    I meant more for the guitar if there were feedback issues.  Yeah I like the compact nature of those but can't see us (me!) spending too much.
    Maybe we'll just pick our venues....
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    edited July 2016
    for years I've used the Thomann t-ampPA4080 ....cheap as chips, 80w, portable, 4ch (XLR&jack) mixer, bad reverb, 12" +1"tweet,  brilliant, plug & play for £130! ....its classified as a keyboard amp. Where I live they've proved very popular for open-mics, and small acoustic gigs, a lot easier than cabling & poles for conventional PA. Dont expect fantastic sound, but the emphasis is on low cost, easy to manage & and it works OK!
    Bad reverb as in... reverb sucks ?
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    A less expensive but good alternative to the Bose setup is the LD Systems MAUI 28 - have done a few 2 piece gigs using this along with a small mixer - great sounding & very portable.
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    yes @thomasross20 .....it works, but not bril, but then again, hell of a package for £130 even if you put external fx on.
  • ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 367
    A nice mackie/yamaha etc desk 8 inputs with a graphic eq and onboard FX and two powered 12" tops. 

I use HK Premium Pros. 

Really great speeakers, super lightweight and sound big, also great for a vocal PA for bands. 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I use the Schertler JAM 400. It's a single box, 400 watt, 6 channels. Have amplified an 'acoustic' 4 piece (electric bass, drums, 2 guitars, 3 vox) with everything but the drums going through the JAM 400 for an outdoor gig and it was fine. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Thread resurrection... did you find anything suitable, @thomasross20?
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

I'd be tempted to try out one of these if I were about to do an acoustic duo , just need a small mixer and you're set !

http://https//giggear.co.uk/buy/ld-systems-maui-5-powered-line-array-system-with-bluetooth