Not playing my acoustic - best practice for storage?

What's Hot
Hi guys,

I've had very little time to play in recent months, so am wondering what to do with my acoustic.  It is all solid wood construction (spruce top, rosewood back/sides, mahogany neck with rosewood board).

I have a Hiscox case for it, which it is currently in, and it is stored in a dry place.  I have the following questions:

1. Should I slacken the strings?
2. Should I loosen the truss rod?
3. Should I store it in the case?  It can be put somewhere safe and dry.
4. What should be done when taking out of storage (does it need time to settle etc)?
5. If this should happen again in the future, what is the kind of timescale by which an acoustic guitar should be stored in this way?

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Leave tuned to pitch - it won't do it any harm at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks Richard.
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I'd have thought, leave it tuned, but cover it up (so it doesn't get dusty) or put it in a case, and store it in a room which doesn't vary in temperature/humidity wildly, like a normal occupied room in a house with central heating not the garage/loft etc.
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Probably worth thoroughly wiping the strings too? Not sure
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Yes. Clean the whole thing thoroughly particularly including the strings and frets, then put it in the case somewhere temperature/humidity-stable as Paul said.

If you don't clean them you can sometimes get corrosion spots where the strings touch the frets when the case is closed, which can be bad enough to need a fret dress to fix.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Thanks everyone.