Effects Pedals suitable for acoustics

What's Hot
I'm looking to expand upon my playing, so can anyone suggest which effects pedals would be suitable for use with an acoustic guitar.

I know nothing about these tools and have never used any before, however, I was thinking along the lines of using Chorus and Reverb.

I'm not looking for an array of effects to use, just a couple. Your advice will be appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    Reverb and delay are the obvious ones, plus loopers for Ed Sheeran-type fun and games. 

Modulations might get a little messy unless used very sparingly, and it's very rare to hear dirt pedals end up anything but messy on acoustic (though some have managed it - Damien Rice and Wheatus off the top of my head...)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    edited August 2016
    Chorus works with acoustic, fills out the sound and sweetens it some. Perhaps start with a Boss Chorus Ensemble to see if it's a sound you like, as it's quite adjustable with a separate hi and lo cut.
  • Check out Jon Gomm's and Mike Dawes' pedal board run downs. If you're just running one pickup you might find yourself a little limited (microphones HATE distortion and sub ocvatves! :) )
  • You could always play it into a Marshall stack just like Kim Deal of the Breeders
  • TC G Natural - does everything I could possibly need. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Chorus, reverb and delays are the obvious ones - but if you fancy something more sonically challenging - the late John Martyn ran his D28 through an EH Big Muff, a Gibson Boomerang, a Mutron III envelope filter and others during the 70s.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    edited August 2016
    Chorus usually sounds horrible on an electro-acoustic… that nasty artificial 90s 'unplugged' sound.

Reverb and delay sound nice, and gentle phasing can too.

Overdrive/distortion *can* work, but you need to be very careful - firstly you need one with a 'guitar speaker emulated' or 'mixer' output if you're going to DI it or go through an acoustic amp (or it will not only sound horrible, there's a risk of damaging the speakers), and secondly it tends to cause feedback at anything above very low drive levels.

Octaves can also work but again tend to need care or they can cause boomy feedback.

A looper pedal - or a delay which can also do looping - would probably be the first I would buy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    You could always play it into a Marshall stack just like Kim Deal of the Breeders
    And John Butler :)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    ICBM said:
    Chorus usually sounds horrible on any guitar… that nasty artificial 90s 'unplugged' sound.

Corrected for accuracy.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I hate chorus  =)
  • Thank you to all who responded and for the advice. Really appreciate it.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    POG type stuff can be fun as well.