Worst pedal you've owned?

What's Hot

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited January 2014
    Oh - I have one - Useless tone sucker for Wah, but to be honest It does reggae chops brilliantly - but for all the other options the scope for guitar is tiny (unless you like DOOM guitar). HOWEVER - add it into your Synth/ KEYBOARD setup and it adds masses extra oscillations - like a Moog Frooger!  - So that's where it is now... I got it free anyway so no biggo...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Oh - I have one - Useless tone sucker for Wah, but to be honest It does reggae chops brilliantly - but for all the other options the scope for guitar is tiny (unless you like DOOM guitar). HOWEVER - add it into your Synth/ KEYBOARD setup and it adds masses extra oscillations - like a Moog Frooger!  - So that's where it is now... I got it free anyway so no biggo...
    Definitely try it for bass too, if you have one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    ICBM said:
    57Deluxe said:
    Definitely try it for bass too, if you have one.
    Ah - But there is a BASS model to this specifically... for BASS... so best not with this one!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Ah - But there is a BASS model to this specifically... for BASS... so best not with this one!
    No, not at all - I used mine for bass and it was fantastic. I've never tried the bass one, there didn't seem any point.

Unless you just fancy buying another pedal ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    This is quite an interesting thread. So far, a couple of pedals I quite like have come up.

Just goes to show how reviews must always be taken with a pinch of salt.
    Along with comments in threads like these, and well, pretty much anyone else opinion about something so subjective. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

Worst by far was ZVex Fuzz Factory - 5 knobs on it, all of which make my guitar sound like utter arse

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    David5150 said:

Worst by far was ZVex Fuzz Factory - 5 knobs on it, all of which make my guitar sound like utter arse

:)

My favourite fuzz pedal ever.

To be fair, the first time I demo'd it to a friend he asked if it was broken...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I couldn't get a sound I liked out of the Boss Power Stack, and it was uber noisy - it went straight back on ebay.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
    edited January 2014
    martinw said:
    This is quite an interesting thread. So far, a couple of pedals I quite like have come up.

Along with comments in threads like these, and well, pretty much anyone else opinion about something so subjective. :)
    Haha pretty much, yeah!

I'm a bit disheartened at having so many I like - the Boss Power Stack is awesome, and the EHX Metal Muff is great! And the Fuzz Factory is... Sacred!

Or maybe I've no taste?

That seems probable.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I'm a bit disheartened at having so many I like - the Boss Power Stack is awesome, and the EHX Metal Muff is great! And the Fuzz Factory is... Sacred!

Or maybe I've no taste?

That seems probable.  
    You have acquired taste :).

I like a lot of effects which seem to generate quite a bit of hate - not just the Fuzz Factory and the Synth Wah, but also the Boss Distortion-Feedbacker (my favourite ever distortion, even beating the Rat), the OC-2 Octaver…

With no disrespect intended, I think a lot of the reason for this is that these pedals have a fairly steep learning curve to get them to work right - you don't just turn them on and play the same stuff, as you do with something like a Tube Screamer or a chorus. Some people just don't want to learn to do this… which goes both ways, I don't want to learn how to use a compressor really, they just frustrate me and that's that.

I still think there are genuinely bad pedals though, which don't work well and don't sound good for more or less anything.

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    martinw said:

Haha pretty much, yeah!

Or maybe I've no taste?

That seems probable.  
    beauty is in the eye of the beholder...or ear...or...whatever...

I'm also surprised with a lot of the pedals that are on here

what would be interesting is to see guitar tones people like on particular songs, and whether a pedal they hate is actually being used on that song. Then it becomes more a case of, rather than hating it, we just couldn't learn to use it. That would most likely be the case with a lot of the Boss pedals here.

a prime example is, I stated that i hated the Metal Muff, but one of my favourite bands and guitar tones is the Sword, and he uses a Metal Muff...since seeing that, I've started doubting whether i just didnt give that pedal a good run and i've been wanting to get a metal muff again and trying it again.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    hmm - so Boss EH-2, Jen Wahs and the Boss TR-2 got grief - some of my favourite pedals there..

I didn't like the Bad Horsie - I got that it had two wah sweeps per movement so it got a rhythmic auto-wah type sound..
    EQ-7, HM-2, Psycho flange, PS-5 for pitch shifting (nice chorus sound),

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23966
    Drew_fx said:
    Ehx metal muff. It sucks cajones.

I really liked it!

Took a while to dial it in, but I used it with a Fender Blues Deluxe of all things and it was great!

And it's brutal on bass. Especially with a clean blend.
  • I had a Boss MZ-2, I didn't mind it. No good for metal or as a foundation drive or anything like that, but it did some cool soundscapey things.
    I also had a Boss DS-1 which just sounded bad. It sounded like the transistor distortion from a cheap practice amp...

I think I've managed to avoid most of the real stinkers. I had a danelectro fab distortion, but it seems cruel to criticise it given that it cost about £15. it certainly wasnt any worse than a DS-1.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23966
    ICBM said:
    57Deluxe said:
    No, not at all - I used mine for bass and it was fantastic. I've never tried the bass one, there didn't seem any point.

Unless you just fancy buying another pedal ;).

The bass one is wonderful! It's never off my board. 

I get everything from Muse noises to that wonderfully thick 'Deeper Underground' synthy nonsense out of it.

And if you stick it in a loop of an LS2 with some filthy drive on the other loop - ye gods!!! 

I'm moist.
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 355
    edited January 2014
    what i've had and didnt like: Zendrive II (tube OD); BK Buttler Tube Driver (OD-Fuzz); Dunlop JH Fuzz; DLS III (MIAB). For the first 3 I'm sure it's 'cause I couldn't play them at high volume and I believe my chops were subpar too... The DLS I just didn't like having owned other MIAB pedals
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    I just remembered another - Xotic BB+ Sounds very little like a BB on any setting and running both sides at the same time sounds hideous unless one side is set so as to be useless on its own.
    Red ones are better. 
  • Roberts Wah. Pointlessly terrible wah and made your guitar sound like a nose when it was bypassed. Also I don't like wah anyway.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    hugbot;124389" said:
    Slightly cheating because I havent actually tried it yet, but my other guitarist send me  a demo of the EHX holy stain the other day going "check this out it sounds awesome" but distorted reverb just sets my teeth on edge and Im begging him not to buy it.

Worst pedal i've owned? Line 6 AM4. And I got good use out of both the POD and the uber metal. The AM4 however was just abysmal and has since been disowned from their website.
    I had an AM4 and liked it. For turning any clean amp into "your" sounds it was excellent, 10 years ago at least. Very good with a small practice amp. Never understood that massive hate it gets.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • For me the Fulltone Plimsoul was a huge disapointment

As was the suhr shiba drive

The king of em all was a blue double switch trex thing - dr Swamp - awful