Worst pedal you've owned?

What's Hot

Comments

• For me the Fulltone Plimsoul was a huge disapointment

I agree with this.  I get that it's totally unique and original and not in any way a TS and Rat in one circuit and that you can't actually mention it without Mike Fuller's express written consent but when I eventually got to try one I realised why most builders build either a TS or a Rat style circuit and not the two together.....not that that's what it is of course.  ;)
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    For me the Fulltone Plimsoul was a huge disapointment

@Travisthedog Did you try it into the supersonic?
    I really liked it, but thought it was a bit too close to the distortion on the SS to be worth keeping.
    More of a lead than rhythm thingy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I keeping thinking about this and am finding it hard to choose. Lots of pedals have had flaws which have led me to pass them on but it's certainly not clear cut which is the worst.

If really pushed I would have to say my first pedal, a Columbus Distortion. However as my first pedal and my only means of achieving any dirt unlit I upgraded to my Mk1 Guvnor, it was pretty awesome as a 14 year old.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    ProCo Brat was my worst purchase. Dogshit.

The Behringer (and Boss equivalent, I'm assuming they're the same) acoustic simulator was the worst I've heard/used. It was pretty much an eq pedal designed to sound awful at every setting.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

The first fuzz pedal I had when I was a kid, back in the 70s.

Cheap and nasty piece of folded tin, assembled by someone who knew about electronics, but had no idea about guitars or how they should sound.

It would probably now fetch a couple of hundred quid on ebay, and has been cloned and put in handpainted enclosures.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    martinw said:

The first fuzz pedal I had when I was a kid, back in the 70s.

Cheap and nasty piece of folded tin, assembled by someone who knew about electronics, but had no idea about guitars or how they should sound.

It would probably now fetch a couple of hundred quid on ebay, and has been cloned and put in handpainted enclosures.

>:D<  so true!!!
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    I hated ALL fuzz pedals, (and that includes all the ones I made myself)

Should I give them another try?

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I think that the point of a Fuzz Factory is what it does in the "wrong" settings, and what it does while you're turning the knobs. If you just want a solid, thick fuzz sound, there are better - but that's not the point of the pedal.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    EdGrip said:
    I think that the point of a Fuzz Factory is what it does in the "wrong" settings, and what it does while you're turning the knobs. If you just want a solid, thick fuzz sound, there are better - but that's not the point of the pedal.
    I actually got some of the best conventional fuzz sounds I've had from a Fuzz Factory.

I had to sell it as I don't like the stupid sideways cases and it was so easy to accidentally knock the controls and clear the room with screaming feedback that I stopped using it live. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2431
    Had an Arion Overdrive back in the day. Still gives me nightmares now.

• d8m;128931" said:
    Had an Arion Overdrive back in the day.

Still gives me nightmares now.
    Really? I've got an early grey box Arion overdrive and it's superb. I know one or two other forumites rate them highly as well.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2431
    d8m;128931" said:
    Had an Arion Overdrive back in the day.

Still gives me nightmares now.
    Really? I've got an early grey box Arion overdrive and it's superb. I know one or two other forumites rate them highly as well.

Miss typed (Ipad corrected when shouldn't have) Thinking back now I can't remember the brand. It was something obscure and cheap as I payed £25 for the pedal new.

• I fancy trying the arion stereo overdrive because I've never heard a drive in stereo before...
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 145
    I fancy trying the arion stereo overdrive because I've never heard a drive in stereo before...

I think ive got one of those somewhere. Ill have a root around if you want to try it.
  • gjonesy;129325" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

I fancy trying the arion stereo overdrive because I've never heard a drive in stereo before...

I think ive got one of those somewhere. Ill have a root around if you want to try it.
    Pm me if you come across it mate, but don't worry if not. No hurry :) sounds like an interesting idea though.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited January 2014
    @ThePrettyDamned
    I have one of those Arion Stereo Overdrives for sale here

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Morley Mini Wah.

Shite.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • I had a Kimbara fuzz which was the first pedal I ever bought. To this day, I have no idea why. Any more than two notes sounded horrible, and you couldn't even think about playing a minor chord. Ugh.
    I never got on with the Boss DF-2 either. I liked the feedbacky thing, I just thought the distortion sounded shit.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • The thing with the Arion's is that you really need to go for the early ones with the grey box. It sounds like TGP bullshit but I've had at least half a dozen of them and in my experience they do sound better.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    samzadgan;123304" said:
    There are certain forums i hang out on who would admonish you for saying the Boss HM2 is anything but legendary!  ;)

For me the worst pedal i have ever had was the Metal Muff with Top Boost…I had the mini version, but have heard good things about the full size one. The other worse pedal was the MXR Fullbore metal…I could never get a good tone out of that thing. 
    I had the full sized metal muff and loved it,sounded identical to my old mesa f50 when pushed. There was a knack to setting up the top boost section though. For worst pedal I've owned it has to be an Ibanez flanker I had it was pure cheese