Mojo pickups sound clips?

What's Hot
Not sure if this is the right category. I'm looking for a set of pickups for my old Squier strat. I emailed Mojo pickups to get advice and he recommended his Special Stratocaster set.

I've had a look around and I can't found any sound clips of these anywhere online (I'd like to make sure they get the sound I'm looking for before buying and installing anything).

Is there anyone on here who has this set who can record/already has some recordings of them?

I'm open to clips of other pickups too - I was originally leaning toward Fender Custom Shop 69s (looking for a Mark Knopfler sort of sound) but I'd prefer to buy from somewhere more local if I can.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    I've never found sound clips helpful unless they are  the same player, same amp same video and very well recorded. 

That set looks really good and I've had pickups from him before. I'd go for those personally, 69's can sound a bit scooped and thin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    There are a few on YouTube, but I'd seriously let him wind them to what you tell him, he has a real knack for getting it right....

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I picked up a secondhand Mojo telecaster bridge pickup on here and it sounds very good. Marked "Jooky" actually!
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I've put a few clips up with mojo pickups
    In, all my stuff has them in now
    They sound really good, his paf pickups are much better than bareknuckle mules imo and cheaper
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • PeterOnePeterOne Frets: 33
    Thanks everyone - it was reading the praise for Mojo pickups on this forum that got me interested in the first place, so maybe I should bite the bullet and order some.

@JookyChap Thanks, I've seen a few videos on Youtube of his pickups, just none that said they were that specific set.

@Winny_Pooh, You're probably right - I've listened to loads of sound clips of Seymour Duncans and Bareknucles and they've tended to put me off, then I've gone on Youtube and found recordings of the same pickups and they've sounded much better.

I'll do some more researching - if I do go for them, I'll try to record some sounds so the next person who comes asking can hear a sound clip.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    edited August 2016
    This might do more harm for Marc than good but here are a custom set of his P90s:

I really rate Marc's work and have gone through a lot of pickups over the years. I can speak as well from a point of view in playing and owning old pickups as well. Marc does a fine job and well worth asking him to make you a set.

Disclaimer: Marc and I are chums but I pay for my pickups from him and not being made nor paid to say any of the above.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Mr mojo is the king of pickup winding1
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494

Mojo PAF's
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Yep as @shugz said, Marc knows his stuff, and everything I made in the last few years had his pickups in - usually the guitars were built to see what the crazy new thing he was doing sounded/played like.

I always had to pay for them too - so yeah, great pickups, tight git ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom