wiring a Kinman humbucker??

What's Hot
I have a kinman humbucker like this one:

It has an earth wire, a red wire and a white wire. I want to wire it in the neck position with full (non-split) sound, into a 3 pickup setup with 5 way switch. I'm pretty sure I can find a wiring diagram, but I can't find any info on which wire is which???? Anyone know?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Do you have a meter? You could measure the dc resistance between the ground and the red / white wires. One should be approx double the other. I suspect the red would be full humbucking?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    edited January 2014
    Red is the full pickup and white is the coil split.

It wasn't easy to find that info even on Kinman's website… especially given the amount of pseudo-technical marketing bullshit you have to wade through.

The bad news is that if it's out of phase with whatever other pickups you have, you can't fix it unless the other pickups can be reversed. Why they don't just do the job properly and use 4-conductor cable, I don't know.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725

ICBM said:

It wasn't easy to find that info even on Kinman's website… especially given the amount of pseudo-technical marketing bullshit you have to wade through.

The bad news is that if it's out of phase with whatever other pickups you have, you can't fix it unless the other pickups can be reversed. Why they don't just do the job properly and use 4-conductor cable, I don't know.
    LOL.
    Chris is an unusual character- I don't find this surprising at all.

Must be annoying though.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    ICBM said:

Thanks. Where does the coil split wire go to when not used for splitting?

Yeah, their site was rubbish. I can't believe that they don't have basic info like colour coding. You have to log in to get ANY technical info (which I did). Pretty poor site by todays standards, especially considering how expensive their product is.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    edited January 2014
    axisus said:
    Thanks. Where does the coil split wire go to when not used for splitting?
    You insulate it so it doesn't contact anything.

axisus said:
    Yeah, their site was rubbish. I can't believe that they don't have basic info like colour coding. You have to log in to get ANY technical info (which I did). Pretty poor site by todays standards, especially considering how expensive their product is.
    After getting lost there I found it by Googling 'Kinman humbucker wiring connections', and it took me straight to this -

octatonic said:
    Chris is an unusual character- I don't find this surprising at all.

Must be annoying though.
    Not really. It just makes me determined not to buy anything of his.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson