Reasonable chord player looking to get better

What's Hot
Hi All 
First post so please be kind. I have read a lot of the discussions and some great advice.

I have been playing guitar for about 25 years now and although i have mastered loads and loads of chords and general rythym i just feel i want to be better at more of a lead. I have a Jap strat and an washburn acoustic (got this when i was 15!) And can play the things i could play 20 years ago no bother.

Whats your thoughts on progressing? Scales? Acoustic or electric? Or just hard practice. Are there any Good books or youtubers you would recommend? I dont particularly want to go for lessons.

Many thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28097
    nellymcl said:
    I dont particularly want to go for lessons.
    Hmm. I was going to suggest some lessons. I've started cello, and the lessons I've had for that make me wish I'd had guitar lessons.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Sporky said:
    .... I've started cello, and the lessons I've had for that make me wish I'd had guitar lessons.
    I know that feeling. I used to have trumpet lessons, and they sure made me wish I was having guitar lessons instead.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you seen Justin's YouTube channel?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Who are your favourite guitarists for lead type stuff? Pick 2 or 3 of your favourites and learn their lines, either by ear, tab books or you tube lessons. It's a lot more effective than purely learning scales, though you should get the major, minor and pentatonic scales under your belt as a given.