nickpnickp Frets: 183
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nickpnickp Frets: 183

was given this master and three slave lights with no connectors.  there is a mike on the master.  plugged in they sort of initialise but no lights happen.  how do i get them to work please?  sorry i'm a lighting ignoramus so keep it simple.  it's ugent as my mate with lukemia is having a party on Saturday and I managed to get hold of these yesterday to give him some disco lighting as the party is on a budget.  thanks a lot.  nick
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    Do you mean you hear the fan spin up but there's no light ? There's normally a dip switch if dmx or toggle switch to set sound to light. 
    Most common thing to go on these though is 12v bulb and \ or power supply board which steps down the mains to the high current 12v
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    edited August 2016
    it spins up and there is a quick flash of coloured light as if it is initialising but then it just goes into "neutral" and seems to be waiting for some form of user input which i guess might have to come from the input on the back???  and do I have to connect it to the slave with leads as well?

didn't get any leads with them - have three slaves plus the one master

the slaves just sit there whirring and looking happy but projecting no light.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    It's an odd setup as normally a light has a DMX in and a DMX out, you then simply daisy chain them together with dmx (3 pin xlr) cables. 
    That setup looks like only the master interprets DMX and passes on the signal to the other lights. However you said you can see it has a mic built in so it can probably be set to sound to light  .... you may find the dip switch to do that is under a flap somewhere though rather than external

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    It's an odd setup as normally a light has a DMX in and a DMX out, you then simply daisy chain them together with dmx (3 pin xlr) cables. 
    That setup looks like only the master interprets DMX and passes on the signal to the other lights. However you said you can see it has a mic built in so it can probably be set to sound to light  .... you may find the dip switch to do that is under a flap somewhere though rather than external

does that mean that I could stick a mike on it through the "in" if I can't find a dip switch?

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    No a mic will not provide the DMX signal source it used 512 chanels. But in theory the built in mic should generate DMX send out of 1 2 & 3 for the slave units. Clap your hands or tap on the masters chassis to generate a 'sound' trigger to test.
    ESBlonde said:
    No a mic will not provide the DMX signal source it used 512 chanels. But in theory the built in mic should generate DMX send out of 1 2 & 3 for the slave units. Clap your hands or tap on the masters chassis to generate a 'sound' trigger to test.
    ta- no life implying some sort of "buggered-ness" then