Neck Relief

What's Hot
Is it dangerous to put greater relief than the default?

I can't seem to shake the fret buzz, and I've set the relief according to the default (width of a business card). Is it dangerous to increase it beyond that, even slightly?

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Just try it. If it doesn't do what you want you can always put it back as it was.

Something tells me that next you will be complaining the action is too high :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Where on the neck is it buzzing?
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Not dangerous, unless you go crazy on the truss rod. Half a turn either way is perfectly safe.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    Surely the width of a business card is too low ?
  • Have you checked the frets are level? Are you playing aggressively with light strings?
    Surely the width of a business card is too low ?
    Thickness of a business card ~ 0.3mm or 0.012" is quite a lot actually, some people like it even lower.
  • Where on the neck is it buzzing?
    E string between 3-12 frets, with the 5 6 11 12 frets being particularly severe
  • Have you checked the frets are level? Are you playing aggressively with light strings?
    I can play aggressively, but i don't have this issue on my old bass which has lower action.

The strings came with the bass; i don' tknow what guage they are but i'm guessing average 40/45-100/105.

The frets seem level to me, but I can' tbe 100% sure. It's a new instrument so it's possible that it's a defective model but my instinct is that's not the case.
  • ICBM said:
    Just try it. If it doesn't do what you want you can always put it back as it was.

Something tells me that next you will be complaining the action is too high :).
    I have had to raise the action more than i'd like to cope with the buzz, and it's still there
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    edited August 2016
    ghostwhistler said:

It's a new instrument so it's possible that it's a defective model but my instinct is that's not the case.
    What do you base that instinct on - how much experience have you got of various different basses?

It sounds to me like either the neck or the fretting are uneven, the strings are duff and/or the pickups are too high - did you fix that or not?

Unless you properly eliminate all these possibilities you're just guessing really.

ghostwhistler said:

I have had to raise the action more than i'd like to cope with the buzz, and it's still there
    Also, some basses are just too light and resonant to take a really low action without buzzing, because the neck moves back and forward as the strings vibrate. A heavier/denser less resonant instrument will always take a lower action.

How much did this bass cost? While it's not always true that price and quality are related, in general it is something of an indicator...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    edited August 2016
    Where on the neck is it buzzing?
    E string between 3-12 frets, with the 5 6 11 12 frets being particularly severe
    10-12 would indicate that the neck needs to be straighter but if there is very little relief and 5-6 are also buzzing then your action is too low or you need a fret dress. 
  • ghostwhistlerghostwhistler Frets: 8
    edited August 2016
    ICBM said:
    ghostwhistler said:

It's a new instrument so it's possible that it's a defective model but my instinct is that's not the case.
    What do you base that instinct on - how much experience have you got of various different basses?

It sounds to me like either the neck or the fretting are uneven, the strings are duff and/or the pickups are too high - did you fix that or not?

Unless you properly eliminate all these possibilities you're just guessing really.

ghostwhistler said:

Also, some basses are just too light and resonant to take a really low action without buzzing, because the neck moves back and forward as the strings vibrate. A heavier/denser less resonant instrument will always take a lower action.

How much did this bass cost? While it's not always true that price and quality are related, in general it is something of an indicator...
    It's just a feeling. I have no thing to base it on. The frets don't seem to me to be problematic but i've always said that I could be wrong. Either way there isn't much I can do about it right now as that's beyond my expertise.

I tried a different string, from my old bass, and the same problems appeared. I don't have any more strings to try. It's possible that both strings were damaged, though less likely.

I am just guessing. I've said that all along.

It is a light bass so perhaps it simply cannot function with a lower action. That's a problem because even as i've set it the action is pushing my desired level for playing and there's still some buzz.

The bass isa Cort Action DLX that cost me £230 but was retailing at £265. It was only cheaper because, when i asked ho much it was, the guy said £230 before actually seeing the tiny price tag. He said he'd stick with the price he first said, which was kind. If that's any indication of anything. I have googled this instrument, Cort seem to be a reputable maker and i see nothing that says this is a poor product. That's not to say it isn't of course.

I'm not a luthier, there's only so much I can do
    Sounds like you should take it back to the shop and let them sort it out. They might even agree to exchange it.
  • Maynehead said:
    Sounds like you should take it back to the shop and let them sort it out. They might even agree to exchange it.
    I'm going to, but the guy is on holiday currently. In the meantime i'll continue seeking advice.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    edited August 2016
    Maynehead said:
    I'm going to, but the guy is on holiday currently. In the meantime i'll continue seeking advice.
    The advice is, has been for a while, and will continue to be ...

TAKE IT TO SOMEONE SUITABLY QUALIFIED.

... and stop wasting your time (and ours) by asking the same questions only to then respond to any comments offered based on your "instincts".
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • What part of "I intend to take it back to the shop, but the guy is on holiday" do you not understand? Are you trying to stoke an argument?

Noone is wasting your time. You choose to freely participate, though you will now respond indignantly by claiming that exercising your free choice to participate in a respectful discussion is akin to being rude and ungrateful. I can't deal with people like that so that's on you.

I have REPEATEDLY said that I don't know whether the frets are damaged or the neck is damaged. I can only tell you what my impressions are, to which I have REPEATEDLY and CLEARLY added the caveat that i am NOT an expert and that I could well be wrong. I was asked whether the frets were the problem, and I answered. That was my answer.

I think at this point you are just trolling and out to cause a problem so you can then have the excuse to close a discussion which you have freely chosen to participate in. So instead of ruining the discussion for me, I would ask that you respectfully withdraw and participate in something that's more appealing to your interests.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    Closed.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.