Digital mixing desks

What's Hot

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 1587
    Danny1969 said:
    What's the quality of  the compressors and the main effects like with the X18 ?
    First impressions are good - there isn't a huge selection but plenty of the obvious choices.   I'll experiment over the next few gigs and report back.   I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure they are the same on all of the Behr dig desks so the x18 has the same as the x32.      Easily as good or better than cheap rack gear or the built in fx on analogue desks I'm used to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • For the XR16/18 how do you route the fx sends to the aux buses? I know i managed it last week but couldnt find it on the android app this week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited November 2016
    For the XR16/18 how do you route the fx sends to the aux buses? I know i managed it last week but couldnt find it on the android app this week.

I don't have the android app but on the iPad, it is the routing page,  and called In/Out on the mac version,   there will be a grid to tick a box match the output with the particular channel/bus/fx send etc.      This caught me out at the weekend when I was trying to tick several channels for the aux out instead choosing a bus. 
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 664
    edited November 2016
    For the A&H, I found the Android inferior to the iPad app.  Android seems to get less attention from the desk manufacturers
  • John_P said:
    For the XR16/18 how do you route the fx sends to the aux buses? I know i managed it last week but couldnt find it on the android app this week.

I don't have the android app but on the iPad, it is the routing page,  and called In/Out on the mac version,   there will be a grid to tick a box match the output with the particular channel/bus/fx send etc.      This caught me out at the weekend when I was trying to tick several channels for the aux out instead choosing a bus. 
    Do you then get a vol fader for the fx bus on the relevant aux?
    John_P said:

Do you then get a vol fader for the fx bus on the relevant aux?
    Yes then go to either that channel page and turn the send for that bus or or the iPad version there is a mixer type screen showing all the sends for the bus as a series of faders you can check by hitting the button for that bus on the right.  
    edited November 2016
    Is anyone else using one of these as a mixing desk and their DAW 'soundcard'?

Just noticed the QU-SB is down to £809 here so makes the XR18 versus QU-SB decision that bit harder.  Both amazing units for the £££  http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Allen-and-Heath-QU-SB-Portable-Remote-Controlled-Digital-Mixer/1JBA
  • Something else impressed me on the last gig - has a spare iPad in case the other one ran out of num-nums. Halfway through second set I fired up the second one and it took over seamlessly with no glitch or lag... 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • We as a band have just bought a Mackie DL32R which gives us all control of our IEM mixes via Iphones/pads whatever..apparently (according to the singer who gave us the full-on salesman talk)

Will be handy if that is the case as I'm always struggling to get my IEM mix right and as we don't have the luxury of a soundman then I'm in charge of my own destiny.

Sounds interesting too with the saved setlists/settings for different venues - we have numerous set-ups - electric backline, direct FOH etc for different venues so should be a breeze in that respect.

We'll see...
    edited November 2016
    I think they are great as long as you don't have to react really fast in a live mixing situation.  Easy to get mixed up exactly what 'page' you are on but they a no brainer for bands that tend to set and forget once they get their head around a certain venue and lineup.
  • Presonus. Really good...well the one i use is
    Presonus. Really good...well the one i use is
    This one?

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 3561
     Not a huge fan of the studioLive 16:4:2 I  use but then again this is a fairly early studio live desk with no native support for wireless mixing ... you have to connect a laptop to mine and run a third party piece of software in order to do.
     Also there is no  motorised faders  on mine so everything is shown via rotary encoder ... So  looks like my first digital mixing desk from Tonka toys :) 

More hassles with a surfaceless desk on Saturday night, another Mackie  DL1608 ...  Kept losing sync for some reason so ended up swapping it for a QU16  minutes before showtime.  Starting to lose faith with that  complete system expect another QU 16 will be on the cards shortly for that band 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 1473
    Quick question about digital mixers, the Behringer XR16 in particular.  If you lose wifi mid gig, will all your settings just stay as they were?  Don't really do much fiddling during the gig after initial set-up.  If it resets and throws a wobbler that would be an issue
    Do me a favour and like this:

https://www.facebook.com/MarkedCoversBand
    Yes and my x18 did just that last night,  7th gig I've used but the first with a sound guy out front.    
     Must have been something in the venue as it lost connection when I was handing it over to him (I did the sound check) and he said it happened a couple of times while we were playing.  
    He just had to wait for it to find the connection again but we had no idea and the sound was fine.
    edited December 2016
    Even if you switch the unit off and on again it remembers the last settings.

• If you use a £30 external router you shouldn't get any WiFi issues.
  • I've just got a Soundcraft ui12.....bassist in our band has an xr12....in my opinion, the Soundcraft is a real step up in terms of sound. The reverbs etc are very nice on it. However, last night the sound on the ui12 completely cut out (is in IEM mixes, FOH sound, the lot) 3 separate times, for around 5 seconds per time! Wwe've been using the behringer for around 12 months and that has been absolutely rock solid-zero issues whatsoever.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 1473
    Well I bought the Behringer XR16 and I'm really impressed.  The Android app is much better than the apple one IMO 
    Do me a favour and like this:

https://www.facebook.com/MarkedCoversBand
    edited December 2016
    I think Behringer are killing it ATM.  I pity anyone trying to compete with them.
  • Agree, I use an x18 with both my bands (separate router a must, run it on 5ghz too as you won't get so battered by competing signals). Behringer have put out an amazing product, FoH mix + six sub mixes for fold backs / iems.  Plus RTAs and very usable comps etc. Great for gigging bands. We have scenes set up for venues so it is a one button load often!
  • Bumping this because I'm currently contemplating the purchase of a rackmount mixer for my band.

We are a 8/9 piece TexMex-style band. Drums, bass, guitar, keys, accordion, harmonica, lead vox, 4 x backing vox, plus brass section, so we could easily eat up > 20 channels. Realistically though, I'd probably not put drums + bass through the PA so we could manage with less (12ish). 

I'm looking at:

A&H QU-SB
    Soundcraft Ui24R
    Behringer X32 Rack
    Behringer X32 Core + S16, S32, or SD16

Any thoughts on any of these?

R.
  • The only one I haven't used out of that lot is the Soundcraft, all will do the job but I recommend the A&H QU-SB purely because I have been using QU mixers across bands and PA company ever since the first QU16 came out about 4 years ago. They are rock solid in operation, well built, decent quality effects and dynamics. The ap works well and the multitrack recording to a fast USB drive is reliable and brilliant for recording gigs. It's also got enough aux sends for 5 stereo IEM mixes or you can add on the truly brilliant ME1 personal monitor mixers 
    Currently we are using  3 different QU16 mixers across 3 different bands, we have spec'ed them for installs and 2020 studios use a QU24 theatre shows. Nothing bad to report in all of this so highly recommended being the SB is just the surface-less version of this well proven platform 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    edited September 2017
    I've got a QU-SB and it's good value for money. Note that the authorized app is only iOS and the Android one isn't great IMO. All inputs/outputs are well sorted and you'll be thankful if the slanted front panel as thee often get out outvifvthe way at least level at gigs.

I don't get how the rear panel inputs on the Behringer X32 Rack would be user friendly at all for gigs? Behringer stuff is amazing value for money too though.

• TBH, if I went Behringer I'd go for the Core with separate digital snake{s}.

I was pretty much settled on the AH, then a pro friend (studio + PA hire) recommended Behringer. Then I saw the Soundcraft.

Still undecided... 

• Some key points to consider are :-1: 

Has it got enough inputs ?
    Has it got enough aux sends .... remember IEM's when used in stereo (such as they should be in a civilised world) use 2 aux sends per person
    Has it got good quality dynamics on every channel and at least 2 great quality master effects (nice verb and delay etc)

What's the remote ap like .... I hate the Behringer one, dislike Mackies DL one as well  but like Presonus and A&H's ....with a surfaceless mixer the ap is the only interface so really important

Is it well proven and reliable .... it's too early for the Soundcraft to tell but the Behringer comes from the X32 stable which is well proven in the PA industry as a cheap FOH and (more likely) stage  monitor mixer, mainly cos of digital splits and cheapness in all honestly but it's well supported 
    The QU has the best pedigree, build quality, the most aux sends, the best dynamics and master effects but I think it's more money. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Another option: Yamaha TF-Rack

Pricey, but better pedigree?

R.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 214
    The X32 is the most fully featured in my experience, and unlike the QU series, everything in the X32 family is capable of being expanded to the full complement of inputs and outputs through the stageboxes.

I've had horrendous reliability issues with the Soundcraft Ui16 that would make me wary of anything else in that range. It's not a product they developed in-house, it was a company called SMpro, who Harman Group bought out to get the product which was essentially just slightly tweaked and rebranded with the Soundcraft/Lexicon names.
    edited September 2017
    From what I have seen of the QU-SB and XR apps the Behringer struck me as nicer. Also the QU can't be laptop controlled like the Behringer so you don't have that ultimate fallback at gigs...when WiFi shites itself.. Unless I'm misunderstanding. I have a QU-SB by the way.
  • Well, I went for a Yamaha TF-Rack. I saw a good deal on an ex-demo unit and haggled an even lower price.

It's arriving tomorrow, I'll report back.

R.