Show us your first proper electric guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• MattGMattG Frets: 170
    I was lucky as my dad played so borrowed his yamaha (2x humbucker tele style thing) while i spent a year saving up my pocket money and i asked for nothing but money from all of my relatives for both my birthday and for christmas to afford my first guitar a Gibson SG special in black i picked up cheap when Peaches were selling off all there gibsons a few years ago, still have it and still love it :)
    no need for a pic you all know what they look like
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    usedtobe said:
    My first guitar was one of those, but the non-active version.  I still have it in a box under the bed...
  • I had an Audition like this one. I think they sold them in Woolies but I got mine in 1984 for £15 from a teacher at school who was emigrating. Only one pickup worked and it sounded even worse than it looked but WTF it was an electric guitar and I didn't know any better. I sanded it down, sprayed it red and bought a nice red curly lead to match!
    Link to my trading feedback
  • I had one of these, except it were white, with 3 pickups

http://www.carrollmusic.com/maya-les-paul-replica-2/

before that I had something like @martinw's jedson, which was dreadful and IMO not a "proper" electric guitar. The Maya wasn't bad for a cheap copy.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited January 2014
    I had a Satellite Les Paul copy which had clearly seen action in a punk band; it had been sprayed neon pink, with leopard spots.

So, I stripped it down (underneath it was black, but that was a bit dull for me) and painted it bright yellow.  And stuck stickers on it - mainly of Kate Pierson from the B-52's.  I really liked it!  :D

Problem is, no one in my family was musical, and before the internet, it wasn't obvious how a guitar should play (to me anyway).  So I struggled along with an action like the Clifton Suspension bridge, cheesewire strings, and wondered how on earth anyone managed to get a half-decent tune out of any guitar... but my desire to write songs was greater than my shredded fingers.  But I think it's why I have such terrible playing, and still can't manage a F barre chord.  :D
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited January 2014
    1972 ish AVON (Rossetti) SG - cost new £45 from ABC Music in Esher High Street. I spied it hanging on wall when out cycling one Sunday afters - nose pressed up at window! But I had to wait 'til 3 months later 'til  I got an amp! - see my first amp thread - I still have the amp - the SG got sold-on for £40 a year or so later so could buy my Fender Stratocaster! A Big thing for a 16 year old school student in 1974!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • My first electric was a CSL Blazer strat copy.  Upgraded it after a couple of years to a Kramer Striker.  It worries me that two of my favourite current guitars are ones that nobody liked originally.  1980 Ibanez Blazer and 1975 CMI Les Paul (not bought from sausage fingers)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    57Deluxe said:
    1972 ish AVON (Rossetti) SG
    It's probably utter heresy to say so, but I've always prefered the looks and balance of those old bolt-on SG copies where the neck is set in about two inches to the real thing. I know top-fret access isn't great, although the chamfer helps a bit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• oddballoddball Frets: 248
    My first guitar was a Hohner ST Scorpion which was an imitation Jackson Soloist POS  with a string snapping Kahler copy so sold it and saved every penny of my summer 1988 holiday job and bought this from Albang & Strumitt in London for about £ 700 I think.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z257/oddball13/IMG_0050.jpg

It originally had 3 micro switches but replaced them with the later/current 5 way switch. The Lace single coil pickups got put in it 10 years or so ago but replaced them last year with some Dimarzio Virtual Vintage 62's. Had a Super Distortion in the bridge since the Mid 90's
  • photekphotek Frets: 1462
    My first was a Fenix Strat copy. Really a lucky first guitar as it played very well indeed.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5372
    edited January 2014

JookyChap said:
    @DiscoStu You are probably right - I think I knew from the start that surely I could make something better than that. I'd forgotten the amp - but I think the see-thru 'gig bag' was probably the cruelest part :)

Oh man, I had forgotten about the clear gig bag! Just horrendous. In fact everything about that starter kit was horrendous! Still, it got me started.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Allbang and Strummit... now there was a fab little shop! Many happy memories just came back... thanks! :-)

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    God I wish my first guitar was that Ibanez, Westone of Fenix! In fact I wouldn't kick any of them outta bed nowadays.

I had this... thing. It's fitting I can only find a shitty image online, sums the guitar up. It's an Encore with a single bridge humbucker and a hardtail bridge:

• NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    An early '70's Avon Les Paul Custom-a-like except it wasn't really much like one except in looks.

Bolt on neck, plywood body but I thought it was great at the time.

Not my pic but gives you the idea, I had the same yellowy orange lined case as well. 

• oddballoddball Frets: 248
    In fairness the thread was your first 'proper' electric as opposed to the fist piece of crap which was better suited to being kindling:

Then it was a black one of these:http://hohnerguitars.de.tl/ST-Scorpion.htm

Note it still had a conventional nut with the locking piece behind it which was set too low so on tightening generated a really excellent shearing action on the string.

• NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    photek said:
    My first was a Fenix Strat copy. Really a lucky first guitar as it played very well indeed.
    I think they generally do.

My youngest has one, made by Young Chang who made Squiers for Fender in Korea. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5372
    So nobody had a Marlin Sidewinder???
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    DiscoStu said:
    Oddly, after the axe, I was really proud with the Epi SG and went for a first guitar lesson. The teacher told me the Epi was useless and I'd never be able to play it, and then tried to flog me a Marlin for £250 (this was 89 I think). I didn't know a thing but went to a music shop and found a new one for a ton iirc... Central Music in Hall Green Brum - I never went back..

• dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    edited January 2014
    My first decent guitar, an Antoria Viking bought in 1974. I think it cost £234. I couldn't resist modding it even then, and fitted Di Marzios with coil taps using the two micro switches. Nice guitar, but I always wished I'd bought the Antoria Strat my mate got at the same time; much easier to play when very "relaxed". I kept it until about 5 years ago and sold it to a shop. I'm told the person who bought it painted it black
     .image
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    edited January 2014
    DiscoStu said:
    May I refer you to the title of the thread. In particular, the word 'proper'. ;)

Actually, I'm amazed not to see a few mentions - they must've sold millions of the damn things. I bet there aren't many around, today, though..!

@ Bod
    Still got mine, too. As nice a neck as I've ever played.

so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.