Oberheim Matrix 6?

What's Hot
anyone got / had / used / formed an opinion on one? Very much on my want list... Videos suggest they a) sound incredible, and b) are a nightmare to program. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Queen's Flash (ah-ah) soundtrack had Oberhiems all over it - lush !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    A friend had a Matrix 6R (the rack mount version) which he lent me for around a year. It sounded wonderful. You can get some really complex  sounds with it. The adjectives that are usually bandied around when talking about Oberheim (fat, lush, warm, weighty) all apply here.
    It isn't the easiest thing to programme, but it is incredibly flexible. I seem to remember (this was over twenty years ago, mind) that you could pretty much route anything anywhere. A good understanding of how analogue synths work is essential to get the best out of it. You used to be able to get software editors for it, though I have no idea if that's still the case. It would probably be worth getting a midi controller for tweaking the most commonly used parameters. And you'll definitely need the manual!

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    Thankfully I understand analog synths pretty well these days, and I could use either of my two current synths to control a rack... It's led my thoughts towards the 6R and the 1000 too... Mmm, food for thought. 
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    I have one of these (which I saved from my past life):

superlatives are not enough, it is mind blowingly stunning, in every sense...

http://www.synthmuseum.com/oberheim/obexpand01.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    As far as I remember, the M1000 can only be programmed externally via software editors (or maybe a pre-mapped hardware controller). Otherwise, you just have a *lot* of presets.
    If you don't need a third keyboard, the 6R takes up a lot less space and is probably as easy (!) to programme.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    Yeah, so it seems. Can see one of these happening with my next round of reckless spending! Utterly bitten by the synth bug now, and can fully understand those who never stop buying them. Seems far more likely now for me to add to my Sub 37 and Prophet 6 than my Jag and Jazzmaster. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Do it! :) There was a Matrix 12 for sale a while ago, but it was quite a bit North of financially viable. That Xpander would be a fantastic and 'sensible' compromise.
    There's both a 6 and a 1000 on eBay at the minute. No silly tokens in the bank at the minute though! Bad times. 
  • im pretty interested in the Matrix 1000, a friend has one and given i basically want one of these guys for 'of the era' synth sounds the presets are actually the most valuable thing about it, getting that aesthetic out of the box is awesome!
  • im pretty interested in the Matrix 1000, a friend has one and given i basically want one of these guys for 'of the era' synth sounds the presets are actually the most valuable thing about it, getting that aesthetic out of the box is awesome!
    I bought one last week! Turns out it was the unit used on Massive Attacks Mezzanine. Pretty cool. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom