Paul Gilbert Online Lessons

What's Hot
matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
Has anyone given the Paul Gilbert online lessons a try? Thinking of subscribing with a view to tightening up my technique and would like to know if anyone has any feedback on them.

Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    not tried it myself but it looks like a really good setup

• Just had a look at the site. It looks good but i can't see how Paul would really have all that spare time to sift through hrs of content submitted by pupils and then record a response to each individual for that part of the lessons package.

However the basic lessons setup looks good though a little pricey at $240 a year. Jamplay do something similar but you have access to more lessons from a variety of different artists, Steve Stevens,Tosin Abasi, Andy James, Bumblefoot etc etc

If you're purely after Gilbert though then its the way to go.
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    Yeh it's a bit pricey, I'd go for the $90 / 3 mth deal I think. I would be great to an appraisal from Paul, but I do agree that this part seems a touch far-fetched. There doesn't seem to be much out there by way of reviews so I guess I'll have to go see for myself.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    I recon it's pretty good value, how much would you pay a local teacher for the same lessons ?
    What else can you get for 20 bucks a month, if you like or respect Paul, then why not ?

And I have seen Paul in videos answering questions and doing the reviews from the back seat of a car on the way to a gig.
    He is very generous with his time and experience, so if you don't mind your submission being available to all on the Artist Works website, it is well worth it.  There are some sample lessons on the site and on YouTube too so you can get a feel for what it's about.

http://artistworks.com/guitar-lessons-paul-gilbert ~ if anyone else wants to check it out, they also do bass and jazz guitar so lots of variety to suite, if you like the format.

And a bit more expensive I know, but I would love to go on his Great Guitar Escape next the summer in the Catskills.
    And some other masterclass workshops there too http://www.musicmasterscamps.com/about-music-masters/
    no affiliation BTW, I just think they have a good product, and Paul is a great guitarist and great human being.

• Y'know, I'm seriously tempted by this. My playing's getting worse and worse in terms of stagnation, but I've never really found a teacher I can improve with...this looks like it might be the way to go :) Besides...£55 or whatever for 3 months isn't much at all relative to what you're getting.
    <space for hire>
    It's a bit like a gym membership I guess. Ultimately the individuals motivation will determine the value.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    ....but you can get Rob Chappers skype lessons for just a lot more? :))
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Y'know what? I went ahead and got a 3 month subscription.

I just learned to play an E major chord.

Wheeeeeeeeeee :D
    <space for hire>
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I did this for about 3 months and it was very good if you like copying videos and watching other peoples videos and the like. I liked it and I did have a reply from Paul Gilbert which was kinda cool but in terms of the site itself, I found it very slow and watching the videos was sluggish.
    I liked the actual tuition, very good forum and very good musical ideas so defo worth a look. I may even go back :)
    I've actually opted for face-to-face lessons as I found someone, who has an unreal ability, that I really could learn some things from. It was no easy task as I've played professionally for nearly 20yrs, hence online courses seemed to be the ticket.

Nonetheless I appreciate the responses as I may well revisit this at some point.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I'm kind of tempted by this. PG is probably my all time fave guitarist. My playing, which was never all that, has really gone to shit over the past few years. Even though he can shred and all that, he seems to play with a lot of feeling, too. And he sort of comes across as a pretty cool guy that you'd want to learn from. Hmmmm...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    Y'know what? I went ahead and got a 3 month subscription.

I just learned to play an E major chord.

Wheeeeeeeeeee :D
    Nice 

Let me know how you get on with it. 

I don't really listen to his music, but he's a fantastic educator. 
    usedtobe said:
    I'm kind of tempted by this. PG is probably my all time fave guitarist. My playing, which was never all that, has really gone to shit over the past few years. Even though he can shred and all that, he seems to play with a lot of feeling, too. And he sort of comes across as a pretty cool guy that you'd want to learn from. Hmmmm...

Agreed. Don't have much time for Racer X but I certainly think his playing has aged very well indeed.