Amp sim/DI box recommendations?

What's Hot
StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
At a gig last weekend, I got caught on the hop when my amp failed just before the gig was away to start. I ended up running my guitar via my pedal board (Boss EQ + Marshall OD + Marshall Distortion). It wasn't ideal, but done the job until we had a break and could get my amp up and running. It did however sound somewhat.... tinny. What I was wondering, do you have any inexpensive recommendations for either a DI box or amp sim/preamp pedal that could be run into the PA so it sounds a bit more guitar-like? My other option I thought about was something like an Orange Micro Terror, however I'd be concerned that it wouldn't be able to keep up volume-wise un-mic'ed in a gig setting against another guitar, bass & drums.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited August 2016
    A Joyo American JF-14
    It's not a competition.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72239
    Speaker-sim DI box - Hughes & Kettner Red Box, or if you can find one the old Peavey EDI.

Amp-sim pedal - Tech21 SansAmp or Character series, or the Joyo copies of them.

Micro Terror - no. Just don't. Maybe just loud enough depending on what cab you have, but when you hear it you'll wish you couldn't :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    Ha Ha
    Never tried a Micro Terror but took a dark Terror to a gig as a back up and when I plugged it in I decided I would rather go on percussion or dance in a meaningless Bez type stupor than play through it .............. and believe me I'm not a fussy man ...I use £1.40 strings, a £150 amp  and a £90 partscaster for 90% of my gigs :)

Someone told me Behringer actually male a passable speaker sim DI box that filters off the nasties for about £40 but I've never seen one
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17574
    tFB Trader
    The Tech 21 blonde is great for this as is the H&K Redbox

I've got one I'd consider selling if you are interested.

The Palmer Pocket Amp is also pretty good, but didn't have enough headroom for me.
    You could also try the AMT F1, but I liked the Tech21 more.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I picked up a Joyo/Harley Benton AC Tone (Tech 21 clone) on the forum for £20 or slightly less.  It actually sounds better than my old Pod X3 did.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    Ha Ha
    Never tried a Micro Terror but took a dark Terror to a gig as a back up and when I plugged it in I decided I would rather go on percussion or dance in a meaningless Bez type stupor than play through it .............. and believe me I'm not a fussy man ...I use £1.40 strings, a £150 amp  and a £90 partscaster for 90% of my gigs :)

Someone told me Behringer actually male a passable speaker sim DI box that filters off the nasties for about £40 but I've never seen one
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/81401/fs-1-spot-psu-sold-and-ultra-g-still-available#latest
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ICBM said:
    Speaker-sim DI box - Hughes & Kettner Red Box, or if you can find one the old Peavey EDI.

Amp-sim pedal - Tech21 SansAmp or Character series, or the Joyo copies of them.

Micro Terror - no. Just don't. Maybe just loud enough depending on what cab you have, but when you hear it you'll wish you couldn't :).
    carry on with that attitude and i may not let you fix mine again :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27988
    Danny1969 said:

The GI-400. Drew's selling one. I have two, and they may well stay in my stash of useful things. They do a more-than-passable job of speaker simulation.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Been a while since this post was started, but thanks for the suggestions. I got hold of one of those Xvive mini pedal active DI boxes with a cabinet sim and gain selection boost. I haven't had any cause to use it on a gig as of yet, but have given it a try through the PA at rehearsals. It' sounds OK, certainly good enough to get through a gig in the event of a crapped out amp, especially using pedals for OD/Distortion.
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    heard the Ada one (3) its flexible and very good plus it can handle amp level and pedal level so can make a good device to go as backup to amp and also in place of mic when using a cab ;)
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Ada GCS-3 is the one.