SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD Alister Atkin guitar - any interest?

What's Hot
revdickrevdick Frets: 0
edited August 2016 in Acoustics £
Hi all
I have an Alister Atkin guitar for sale.  It's the very first one he made commercially - I met him first when I bought his Rob Armstrong off him and he was setting up.  I bought this one for my son, who now wants to sell it.  It's 21 years old, and a genuine Alister Atkin (although the logo is not what he now uses).

Anyone interested?  I've no idea what it might be worth. 
I can post pictures if there's any interest

thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    You'll need to post pics to get any interest :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    Yes - pics please.

Have you tried Alister?  He might be interested?

Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • revdickrevdick Frets: 0
    Pics uploaded to my gmail account and shared. Click the link for 11 photos.  Ask if you want any more.
    Talked to Alister and he wasn't really interested, which surprised me.

https://goo.gl/photos/vo35YnFN9CJbZgJR7
    Also put a video there of a short piece so you get an idea what it sounds like. But I haven't changed the strings for years....

• maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556
    Nice video pal :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• SporkySporky Frets: 28147
    revdick said:

I've no idea what it might be worth.
    You have to include a price in Classifieds threads - it would be worth doing some research. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1711
    edited August 2016
    is it free to good home????????
    if you actually want to sell it you might want to tell us about it.
    spec/condition.
    is there a crack running down from the bridge?

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    So why is it that all I get is a blank page from any of these goo.gl/photos links (& in other threads too) ?

I feel somewhat cheated when others can see the goodies   =((

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2427
    revdick said:
    Talked to Alister and he wasn't really interested, which surprised me.
    Not surprising really: 21 years ago Alister made very good guitars. These days he makes superb guitars. He's moved on.
    So. Is there any interest? Maybe.... it's in good but not great condition. There's no crack from the bridge, musicman100, but on the back the purfling has moved a tiny bit on the left side (see photo). 

How about £350? And I'm sorry, spec is very difficult.  I can't remember what woods he used. But I know the machine heads are smoother than those on my Armstrong guitars!  There are no major dings or faults, but below the soundhole it's a bit marked (I think it's clear in the photos) - I think a bit of almond oil would make a big improvement.

Chrismusic, sorry you can't see the photos.  Is there some other way to put photos up? I'll attach one here tomorrow hopefully.

Maw4neu, thanks!

• Thanks for the photo's and video.

I'm afraid I have no use for it at the moment, but believe it represents a genuine bargain for someone that does. First guitar from one of our best builders, handmade, all solid wood...a bit of fettling, new set of strings, bobs your whatsits...

All the best with your sale. 

So why is it that all I get is a blank page from any of these goo.gl/photos links (& in other threads too) ?

I feel somewhat cheated when others can see the goodies   =((

hope this works. Put link in the place where it says to, but can't see it.

• ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited August 2016
    Hope this helps?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2427

When you consider that you're unlikely to find a used recent model Atkin guitar for less than about £1800 - if you're lucky - this could be quite a bargain at £350. It may not be one of Alister's best but is probably still a much better acoustic than anything else available at that sort of price. Perhaps a case of try-before-buy - with new strings fitted!

Thanks for the photo's and video.

I'm afraid I have no use for it at the moment, but believe it represents a genuine bargain for someone that does. First guitar from one of our best builders, handmade, all solid wood...a bit of fettling, new set of strings, bobs your whatsits...

All the best with your sale. 

Thanks very much, ourmaninthenorth - hopefully it'll go.

Jimbro66 said:

When you consider that you're unlikely to find a used recent model Atkin guitar for less than about £1800 - if you're lucky - this could be quite a bargain at £350. It may not be one of Alister's best but is probably still a much better acoustic than anything else available at that sort of price. Perhaps a case of try-before-buy - with new strings fitted!

Hi again.  Thanks Jimbro66.

Here's a link to some wav files recorded with an Edirol R-09 so reasonable quality. Two are of the Atkin guitar, one of a Rob Armstrong so you can compare in the same environment and equipment. Recorded directly after each other.  The Atkin has new strings on for the recording.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6tiCsClzQLTMlFPdFItZ01JM0k

I don't know for certain but I think the fingerboard is ebony.  It's very dark with no other colouration.  

The neck is mahogany and he's joined two bits for the headstock and also joined some pieces at the body.  I don't know what the back, sides and soundboard are but probably Rosewood and spruce.

The fret wear is minimal.  There is some fingerboard wear. 

The bridge has pulled a bit, like most.  Maybe 2-3mm and so the top has bellied a little - you can probably see that in the profile pics, which is why I included them.

The action feels good.  I might fiddle a bit with it if I was keeping it.  There's I think 2mm between 1st string and 12th fret and 3mm for the 6th.

I've also just re-discovered that it has a pickup fitted (connected through the endpin).  It sounds good amplified, just natural, but there isn't a lot of volume.  It's passive and I guess it's under the saddle.

It also has a decent hard case with his (old) logo on it, same as on the guitar.
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1711
    revdick said:
    It also has a decent hard case with his (old) logo on it, same as on the guitar.
    I've sent you an email