Acoustic for a guy that always plays electrics...

What's Hot
Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
edited August 2016 in Acoustics
I want to get an acoustic guitar, but I've always found full size dreadnoughts to be unwieldy and awkward.

Also, I've not played many acoustics, but most of the ones I have played have been cheaper, and have fairly high action and a lot of string tension.

I'm looking for an acoustic that I can pick up and play, but want it to be nice to play.

Where should I be looking? I don't want to spend too much, probably about £200, maybe more for the right guitar, and I prefer going used to get more for my money.

3/4, thinline, cutaway shapes?

Also, I much prefer the look of dark woods, like mahogany and koa.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6388
    Taylors were originally designed for electric players, and if you don't like dreadnoughts checkout Concert or OM styles with or without cutaways (and onboard preamps).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited August 2016
    How are the 3/4 guitars when sat down? I'm thinking my hand position is going to be lower than normal?

Baby Taylor's are definitely on my radar.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Buy a good one then then learn how to play it.
    I'm not being sarcastic (for once).

Playing acoustic is quite a different set of skills- if you are already a decent electric player then you can adapt but don't think you can just start playing acoustic using your existing techniques and it will sound good.
    It probably won't.

I favour 000 style instruments, I'm not much into dreadnoughts but if you are a strummer then you might prefer one.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401
    I find Taylors have consistently low actions and generally play like electrics ... but still sound amazing. Unfortunately  they aren't cheap. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I got a Taylor GS mini not long ago.  It is better than I ever imagined!  I love it, it's my go to!

However, even second hand you are over budget
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72296
    Jack_ said:

I'm looking for an acoustic that I can pick up and play, but want it to be nice to play.

Where should I be looking? I don't want to spend too much, probably about £200, maybe more for the right guitar, and I prefer going used to get more for my money.

3/4, thinline, cutaway shapes?

Also, I much prefer the look of dark woods, like mahogany and koa.
    For that set of specs… Yamaha APX500.

I'm not a fan of them as acoustics personally, but they do all that, for about that sort of money second hand or about £300 new. They come in a wide variety of colours and finishes but I think there's at least one with dark mahogany back and sides.

But I also agree with richardhomer. An 000-size proper acoustic isn't that unwieldy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Weren't Ovation bowlbacks supposed to have an electric-style feel when released?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Weren't Ovation bowlbacks supposed to have an electric-style feel when released?
    Yes, that was the idea.
    Whether they achieved it is kinda debatable.
  • vizviz Frets: 10689
    edited August 2016
    Consider getting a nylon-strung with a proper sharp cutaway like an alvarez rc20sc, or an ibanez ae450. 

In fact if you google the alverez on images, mine is the 2nd picture, and it's a pic I posted on thefretboard :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72296
    octatonic said:
    Weren't Ovation bowlbacks supposed to have an electric-style feel when released?
    Yes, that was the idea.
    Whether they achieved it is kinda debatable.
    They were also supposed to sound like a Martin D-45, and… er… ...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
    APX or GS Mini would get my vote given these requirements :)
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    +1 for Taylor.  Mine changed my guitar playing life.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Taylors of all descriptions are generally the most 'friendly' for electric players. They've really mastered the factory setting up process.

I agree with what others have said - a GS Mini would be a good choice, at reasonable cost.

If money is less of an issue I'd look at the smaller bodied '12' series (the 312 ce is the cheapest all solid wood model).
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6388
    Secondhand Breedlove possibly would fit the bill, I love my s/h £250 OM/MMe
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Taylor Mini's are around £600... How do the Baby Taylor's compare? I love the Mini GS Koa.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Jack_ said:
    Taylor Mini's are around £600... How do the Baby Taylor's compare?
    It doesn't, really.

They are purely a travel guitar - as with all Taylors, they play well - but they sound much smaller and 'boxier' than GS Minis.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I don't like the Taylor necks even though I'm more of an electric player than acoustic.  I also don't like the sound, although some of the newer models are reputed to be better.

I bought an Epiphone for my church for around £180 in the Guitar Village Boss Gone Mad Sale.  It might normally be around £200 without some haggling.  It's actually a very nice guitar.  It's a bit toppy unplugged but the pickup on it is really good if you ever do want to plug it in.

The big difference you will find is that most acoustics have a wider fretboard than you will be used to on an electric - especially with the smaller body styles which are often aimed a bit more at finger pickers and have a bit more space between the strings.

As always, your best bet is to find a shop and try a few.  Most will be strung with 12s from the factory so the strings will feel very stiff under your fingers.  I use 11s on my acoustics which makes them easier to play.  You can buy 10s for acoustic but they don't normally have enough mass to get the top moving.
    How are Ibanez acoustics?

I'm an absolute sucker for beautiful woods, and they've got a few models that look amazing...

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    I was in the exact same position as you not long ago and I got a Washburn mini-jumbo for about 120 new. It's got a very easy neck and the shape/size is the perfect antithesis to a huge bloody dreadnought. Whether it sounds any good is debatable but it's solid mahogany, looks great in black, and it suits me perfectly.