Flicking plectrums at the audience!

What's Hot
Hi, I wondered if anyone else has suffered this nightmare? My problems stem from being left handed but stubbornly persisting with playing right handed. Basically when my hands start to sweat or I'm really going for it with the rhythm playing. I have a tendency to flick plectrums all over the place. I've tried most things from not using one at all to using a thumb pick and even gluing my fingers to the pick with various products supposed to stop this happening, but I still don't have the definitive answer. Any bright ideas out there or recommendation for super grippy plectrums etc?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Try thin cork pads?
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Thicker plectra?
    I use Big Stubby 3mm
    And basically down strokes for nearly everything and a tendency to get hot and sweaty but the 3mms are good.  Don't lose them too often.
  • I'm left handed and play right-handed.

I remember I had a problem in the early days that the pick would rotate, but I got used to spinning it around and moving it back. One thing that helped was holding a pick even when I wasn't playing guitar so it became second nature holding and moving a pick without thinking about it. As a left hander that's an option because you can write with your left whilst still holding the pick with the right.

You can also get used to varying the tension of the grip. You might be gripping the pick too tightly.

I'm OK with most types of pick but currently use Jazz 3 Ultex picks, which happen to have an excellent grip.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Gorilla Snot (seriously look it up - works a treat).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    Jazz 3 Ultex - this :)
  • I was at a gig once using a tiny Jazz III (my preference these days). Black. It was dark. I lost it. 
    Had to stop for a couple mins to find it as it was my only plectrum!! Jesus, I learned something that day :lol:
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited August 2016
    I was at a gig once using a tiny Jazz III (my preference these days). Black. It was dark. I lost it. 
    Had to stop for a couple mins to find it as it was my only plectrum!! Jesus, I learned something that day lol
    I used a black Jazz III for years. That was influenced by the fact that I asked Alan Murphy what pick he used at an SFX gig and he gave me a black Jazz III.

Now I prefer the Jazz III Ultex (amber coloured pick). It's got a kind of sticky feel to it and at first I sensed a slight drag on the strings, but now I've got used to it.

It's not a competition.
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    Jalapeno said:
    Gorilla Snot (seriously look it up - works a treat).
    I've got some spare if anyone wants some, just pay postage. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll check that Utex version out!
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    edited August 2016
    I scratch a criss cross pattern into the pick with a knife or even a soldering iron
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7845
    V picks.  They are acrylic. They take a bit of getting used to, but now I'm a massive fan. 

Miss they warm to body temperature, they bond with your skin, so become more grippy and sticky.  

Been playing them for years.  Rarely drop one. I just keep giving them away, as I want others to try them.

Converted quite a few to v picks now.  Expensive hobby though, I play Snake, Screamers, and colossus (depending on the guitar), and they are not cheap. 

Well worth it though. 

Marlin
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks to all of you who suggested the Ultex Jazz 3. Bought one to try it and wadda you know no spinning, and with just a touch of pick honey, I can now strum as hard as I like without flinging it around the room. I,be just ordered a load more now. Downside Is the missus complaining about the extra volume I can now get. Anyone want to trade her for a Gretsch 6120?...lol
  • Huh! Typical, ordered a big bag of jazz 3 Ultex to play until my fingers bleed and now I've been stuck in hospital since Thursday so can't even try them out! Getting a serious case of GWS (guitar withdrawal syndrome) now. Hope the wife is taking good care of my babies whilst I'm in here!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    My fans welcome a thrown pick here and there.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Gassage said:
    My fans welcome a thrown pick here and there.
    They might, but it throws my strumming into complete disarray when I have to start strumming without one halfway through the song! :(
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26565
    Use expensive picks. Your brain will get the idea pretty sharpish.
    <space for hire>
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I've got jazz III XL Primetone with a built in grip. It's got burnished edges and it just doesn't move between my fingers. The tone and volume is amazing.

I also bought the slightly larger standard size in the same pick and the 3mm Jet Black Primetone Large Pointed which has it's own grip moulded into it; That one is insane for heavy rhythm parts.

I was awful for dropping picks and in a month using these i haven't dropped them once. I've also developed a technique of using three fingers for rhythm parts and switching to two fingers for lead and because these are so positive to hold, it's dead easy (Cheers Paul Gilbert !).

Primetone work out at around £2 each but are SO worth it.

If you want to try one PM me and i'll send you a get well soon pick to try.

Get well soon man.
    It's going to be me in Hospital on September 8th and i'm not looking forward to it one bit.
  • Alnico said:

Get well soon man.
    It's going to be me in Hospital on September 8th and i'm not looking forward to it one bit.
    Thanks for that, came out of the blue for me so no time to prepare for it! Hopefully might get out tomorrow, missing my guitars now. Hope all goes ok for you and thaks for your kind offer. I'll PM you when I get out.
    No worries man.

All the best.