Beginner's woes

What's Hot
I've been self-learning electric guitar for a few months now - mostly strumming, but have tried playing a few simple tabs. As you'd expect from a beginner I'm quite slow at chord changes at times but improving (very gradually), and usually manage 20-30 mins every evening. I've been using the JustinGuitar beginner's book (based on his website), which I've found to be pretty good (speaking as someone who doesn't normally like following courses and tutorials).

While I'm tempted to move on to his intermediate book, the author himself and a couple of guitarist friends have recommended that I now spend the next few months improving my strumming and picking - get faster, etc (in fact the author recommends 6-12 months before moving on!).
I appreciate that I need to walk before I can run, but I don't want my interest to fizzle out during this time, as it feels like I'm just practising/doing exercises rather than learning. I'd thought about lessons, but wonder if it would be a waste at this stage. I'm sure a teacher wouldn't have me doing anything new, and would probably end up practicising chord changes and simple tabs - which is what I'm doing now. Having said this, I would certainly consider lessons in the future, once I had improved on the basics.

What would folks on here recommend? How did you learn and reach the level you are at now?

Unfortunately I was watching a few YouTube videos of practice amp reviews last night. Watching seasoned pros and shop staff shredding away, or effortlessly switching between different styles (blues, rock, country, etc) is quite disheartening to a beginner, and I'm wondering how I could ever reach that level. I appreciate that it must take years of practise but I'm curious to know how you make that leap from just strumming or playing tabs off the internet, to that kind of level of playing? Do you learn from books, tutors, watching performances (I can't see how, given the speed their fingers move!).

Apologies for the slight downer! I'm enjoying the guitar so far but desperate to progress. I even bought myself an Epiphone Dot last week as a moral booster (replacing a sub-£100 cheapo guitar someone had given me).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1029

Hey Andy - I wouldn’t feel down about it, actually at the stage that you are at you will see the greatest improvement over the shortest time span in your entire time playing guitar. With 30 minutes a night you will come on in leaps and bounds but you are right it’s better to have goals and a broad plan to get where you are going otherwise you will fail to get there and may get disheartened!

I would advise that you sit down and think about the following, in no particular order:

• What type of music do I want to predominantly want to play, Rock, metal, blues, country etc.?
    • Do I want to take formal lessons?
    • Do I want to play in a band?
    • Do I want to play live?
    • Do I care about theory?
    • Do I want to concentrate on playing lead or rhythm or both?
    • What songs do I want to be able to play in 12 months from now?

Okay so once you know what you want to play and what type of guitar (lead or not) and your eventual aims you can start with getting a plan together. I keep things like a list of the songs that I’m learning, the parts I can play in them and the bits I’m struggling with and why. They why is normally speed so I can zero in on the things I need to work on.

From where you are you might want to look at formal lessons – I’ve had some and found them useful to a point. You might want to be self-taught and if you do that the thing to remember is that learning goes at your pace, but don’t be discouraged if you find things hard – the guitar is a hard instrument to learn well.

Whatever you do I’d set out your goals for the year and then review them (honestly) with yourself on a monthly basis – if you are getting where you need to get to that’s great, if not be honest with yourself about why and rectify that.

Lastly remember this is meant to be fun – unless you are doing this as a professional musician – it’s meant to be light hearted and a distraction from the rest of the work day so don’t make it a chore or you won’t do it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    \Best way to improve while using the books is to pair them with a metronome.
    Start slow, and gradually build speed, using the metronome to keep yourself in time.

Also playing along with backing tracks will help you improve. Use tabs to learn the fingering of any one particular song. Then once learned play to the backing track, or to the original CD

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4124
    edited August 2016
    Adult learners tend to overestimate what they can achieve in a short time and underestimate what they can achieve in a longer time. This stops them investing their time properly in fundamentals. 

It may be why you're tempted to move onto intermediate material despite, as you say, only having been playing a few months and not being able to easily change between chords (which is absolutely to be expected in you've only been playing a short time, but which is a clear sign that you are firmly in beginner territory).

You just have to spend enough time on the basics before you move on. There's no way around it. But if you focus on the fundamentals the rewards come much sooner than you think they will. And if they don't come soon enough to stop you losing interest then c'est la vie...it was only going to happen a bit later on anyway once you got frustrated trying to learn things without the required foundation.

A good teacher can help you work through the initial frustrations - I'd consider getting lessons now, and then you can always further your learning on your own later.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    Hi Andy, I'm afraid there is no leap, just the gradual improvement that comes from getting notes under your fingers, again and again and again.  I can play ok now but it has taken me 30-odd years.
    You say you do 20-30 minutes per night.  My advice would be do more.

good luck with it dude
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211

Moving on I think is a very subjective thing.

I followed the JustinGuitar beginners course, and despite having spent quite a few years before that playing on and off, it's what gave me a good structured practise routine, which progressed my playing far more than anything I'd tried prior.

When you say the beginners book, did you watch any of the videos online?
    And how is your consolidation coming along - http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-199-Consolidation.php

Personally, if you can tick of all the things in the consolidation list, or at least only have a couple things you're not quite good enough at, I'd say start on the Intermediate lessons. I always find I progress the most, when I'm learning new skills and pushing beyond what I can currently do.

Also, are you aware there is a JG forum? - http://justinguitarcommunity.com/

• Thanks for all the replies. I'll certainly be persevering, but it'll be a long road I think!
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    edited August 2016
    I think the thing that would most improve your playing (beyond what you're doing at the moment) is beginning to play with other people. Obviously you'll either have to find someone at a similar sort of level as yourself or someone who is willing to 'hold your hand' as it were and guide you on a bit - maybe formal lessons would provide that?

One of the joys of the guitar is that it isn't too hard to get to a level where you can strum a basic chord progression. But if you're just sat on your own strumming those chords it can get a bit dull. If someone else is playing or singing along over those chords it can be an amazingly uplifting experience.

As a bit of inspiration i would recommend a book called "Guitar Zero - The Science of Learning to be Musical" by Gary Marcus. Especially the bit where he goes off to 'band camp' with a bunch of kids.
    "On the eve of his fortieth birthday, renowned cognitive scientist Gary Marcus decided to fulfil a lifelong dream and learn to play the guitar. He had tried many times before – failing miserably. This time, he decided to use the tools of his “trade” to see if he might suceed. On his quest he jams with twelve-year-olds and takes master classes with guitar gods. A groundbreaking exploration of the allure of music, Guitar Zero is also an empowering case for the mind’s ability to grow throughout life."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Steamabacus nails it. Play with others if you can. Harder for an adult beginner to find someone at same level but if that doesn't work out definitely invest in lessons with a teacher face to face.