What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Si_;124974" said:
    Nerine said:

Simple.

Used SM57.

That would probably be a good option, but there is so much talk about fakes I wouldn't trust buying one used.
    Usually you can tell straight away by weighing and measuring the dimensions vs the ones on the shure site - I got a fake beta 57. If you buy on eBay, you're covered. Sm57 would be my choice because I know it works with my rig, but the guy who does sound for us regularly swears by the 609. Audix i5 is a good choice too as long as the rig isn't too bright as it's a bit clearer up top, but I don't know their used price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Peavey EDI box, works great every time, beein using one for over 20 years, never mic up live anymore. Studio yes, but live people can't tell, so what's the point.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2320
    Samson q7 is decent enough. Also I just bought a peavey PCM ir45 new for £29 and that does the job quite nicely
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I ended up buying the used E609 above.. just waiting for delivery.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Wise choice mate.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thought it would save me having to use a stand, plus they seem to get good write-ups.

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    Am I the minority here thinking that finding the sweet spot in terms of speaker placement is more effective than mic type.

If the amp is dialed in right and the placement is figured out I'd expect that in a pub situation mic type wouldn't matter that much?

I recently tracked gtrs with a 57 and a 58 (vocs?) and from what I heard afterwards I wouldn't make a fuss if anyone came to mic me with the latter.. Nothing I would definitely atribute to the mic given all the other parameters.. 
    Well, maybe it's 'cause I was the only one playing in the room so the mics didn't pick up anything they couldn't handle.. 

I'd expect that these things matter more in high def studio sessions where the producer really knows how to work with the characteristics of each mic to the benefit of the music-mix (blending tones from different mic types etc).

On the other hand, life is short and there's no reason not to use the best and most suitable gear in any scenario.
    So, enjoy your new mic and put in good use with your awesome new amp!

Mic arrived this morning.. unfortunately it won't sit clean against the cab as I thought due to the lip at the top of my Cab.. No biggie, just means I need a Mic stand/Mic Clamp thing as well.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    I got a nice mic from Wilkinsons... £2.99 even has an on/off switch!! and is 1/4" jack!  and is silver...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Mic arrived this morning.. unfortunately it won't sit clean against the cab as I thought due to the lip at the top of my Cab.. No biggie, just means I need a Mic stand/Mic Clamp thing as well.

Or a roll of gaffa tape ;)

That idea of @ICBM 's of having a mic permanently installed in the back of a combo is a really good one, gutted I didn't come up with it - as long as your stage setup is broadly the same everywhere you play you can find the sweet spot, fix the mic there and have pretty consistent sound wherever you play, genius!

• Catthan said:
    Am I the minority here thinking that finding the sweet spot in terms of speaker placement is more effective than mic type.

If the amp is dialed in right and the placement is figured out I'd expect that in a pub situation mic type wouldn't matter that much?

I recently tracked gtrs with a 57 and a 58 (vocs?) and from what I heard afterwards I wouldn't make a fuss if anyone came to mic me with the latter.. Nothing I would definitely atribute to the mic given all the other parameters.. 
    Well, maybe it's 'cause I was the only one playing in the room so the mics didn't pick up anything they couldn't handle.. 

I'd expect that these things matter more in high def studio sessions where the producer really knows how to work with the characteristics of each mic to the benefit of the music-mix (blending tones from different mic types etc).

On the other hand, life is short and there's no reason not to use the best and most suitable gear in any scenario.
    So, enjoy your new mic and put in good use with your awesome new amp!

You may be right but a SM58 is exactly the same as a SM57 it just has a pop shield on top so they will sound almost identical if all other factors are the same.
    There is a massive difference in tones between edge of cone and centre of cone and perhaps less radical difference between cardiod dynamic mic types. Speaker type also makes a big difference.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Yep the 609 is a good cheap alternative to the 906.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    Yep the 609 is a good cheap alternative to the 906.
    Presumably if you use them upside down they're the same as each other...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom