Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Football thread

What's Hot

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4697
    axisus said:
    I think the bubble may burst for Southampton. You can't keep going back to square 1 with players and managers and make it work every time. 
    I thought Southampton looked good the other day, passed the ball really well.  I was happy with the result as a Man U fan but Southampton played some nice football.  Personally I think they will be okay, mid table at least.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    As a Fulham fan I'm shocked that we've managed to go 4 games without getting spanked. Long may it continue!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
    David Moyes, what the hell?!?! Two games in and he's telling Sunderland footballers and fans that they are in a relegation battle?!? Talk about setting the bar low. 
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Better than to bullshit people, they've been there or thereabouts for the last God knows how many seasons and haven't spent any money this summer-it's gonna be a grim season for them.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    The quotes from the man when he was utd manager, fuck he us depressing.... 

When a new United manager says we aspire to be like city. . You know you're fucked 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
    lloyd said:
    Better than to bullshit people, they've been there or thereabouts for the last God knows how many seasons and haven't spent any money this summer-it's gonna be a grim season for them.
    I disagree, you are a new manager, set the bar higher, aspire to do better, motivate the team, get the fans onside, build momentum. Ok, if you are bottom in March it's a relegation battle, but before that show a bit of passion. I think he's useless.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    @mudslide73 said:
    I'm a West Brom fan, so I really need to start watching other teams' matches more as "football" hasn't really existed in these parts for about 4 years

Not even free scarves and drinks can smooth over the Pulis snoozefest @thecolourbox - we've gotta sign someone soon? 
    It's not Pulis that is the problem, it was the FA nicking Dan Ashworth that messed up our scouting really. Pulis does brilliantly well with what he has, we finished above several teams with much better players than us last year, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. If he tried to play football with a team of non-footballers then we'd have been down with the Villa

I've said a few times on here that I'd give him a couple of summer windows to sort the squad out... and I stand by that. I just get a bit down about the toxic atmosphere at the games. 

I thought the same thing, but it's taken them three windows to stump up for Phillips, and you know things are bad when Lambert gets a game, and whilst £25M for Evans would be hilarious (the missus is a Spurs fan) I hate to think how long it would take to replace him. I like Pulis, at least he is a real manager, but it feels very much like the same old routine and a free scarf and pint feels horribly like something the Bluenoses were celebrating a few years back..

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Erm

Did you see the ludicrous display last night?
    Stop crying, start buying
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3064
    Bidley said:
    As a Fulham fan I'm shocked that we've managed to go 4 games without getting spanked. Long may it continue!
    As one of the Championship clubs still receiving millions in Premiership money, you should be reasonably successful. 

The number of clubs in the Championship getting parachute payment outweighs the number that aren't.  
    Even Wigan, having been down to league one and back up again, get 20 million quid this season - for failing miserably.  

What a great system.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    RobDavies said:
    Bidley said:
    As one of the Championship clubs still receiving millions in Premiership money, you should be reasonably successful. 

The number of clubs in the Championship getting parachute payment outweighs the number that aren't.  
    Even Wigan, having been down to league one and back up again, get 20 million quid this season - for failing miserably.  

What a great system.  
    You sound a touch sour? If you got to the PL and went down, you wouldn't complain. Besides, the money isn't just a handout.

The Championship is a funny league. Lots of money gets thrown around for the same old players, and you tend to find the teams that go up will have built a team from the ground up. Meaning money doesn't make as big a difference as it does in, say, the PL.
    edited August 2016
    axisus said:
    lloyd said:
    I disagree, you are a new manager, set the bar higher, aspire to do better, motivate the team, get the fans onside, build momentum. Ok, if you are bottom in March it's a relegation battle, but before that show a bit of passion. I think he's useless.
    To be fair I haven't seen or read the comments and I agree with you in some ways, but personally as a supporter I don't need smoke blowing up my arse especially after a criminal lack of investment over 3 years.

Edit: Just read them-that's a bad way of doing things.

Was expecting "It's going to be tough but I'm changing things in training, will get more out of the players but it's gonna be tough etc" 

He's got from actually hasn't he, "wanting to be like City" was ill-advised.

edited August 2016
    Bidley said:
    RobDavies said:
    Bidley said:

What a great system.  
    You sound a touch sour? If you got to the PL and went down, you wouldn't complain. Besides, the money isn't just a handout.

The Championship is a funny league. Lots of money gets thrown around for the same old players, and you tend to find the teams that go up will have built a team from the ground up. Meaning money doesn't make as big a difference as it does in, say, the PL.

Not sour - it's actually quite amusing when you consider Fulham have received nearly half a billion quid in Premiership dosh, but still can't beat Brentford in the league - home or away.

Brentford's entire playing budget?  Less than ten million quid per year.

;-)

RobDavies said:
    Bidley said:
    RobDavies said:
    Bidley said:

What a great system.  

Not sour - it's actually quite amusing when you consider Fulham have received nearly half a billion quid in Premiership dosh, but still can't beat Brentford in the league - home or away.

Brentford's entire playing budget?  Less than ten million quid per year.

;-)

Money doesn't win games my salty friend. Leadership, good management and a good owner does. We haven't had any of that in a fair few years.

Unfortunately that doesn't do much for your inferiority complex ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Anyway, chin up, no need to be grumpy! You're in the same league as us and QPR again this season, so you get another 4 cup finals!

;)

Touche!!

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    Very pleased for The Brewers and Clough Jr last night. Well done young man!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I'm off to White Hart Lane now so if someone could arrange for Liverpool to have one of their off days that would be smashing.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    edited August 2016
    They can't defend, just outscore them... Simple ;) 

Also game dayyyy woooo
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Liverpool were quite good actually, the away support were excellent. Spurs still have the distinct waft of pre-season about them.
    2 points thrown away by Liverpool today, we were in parts excellent, just can't keep a clean sheet and chances going begging-which are pretty important aspects of top level footy.

Spurs goalie played a blinder and we had one excellent goal disallowed for a borderline offside-think he was, so an excellent decision, but you can get away with them.

Spurs scored with their only decent chance. On another day we win that 3-0.

Have to say that before a ball was kicked this season, 4 points from the first 3 games (arsenal, burnley and Spurs away) would be about par. 

Weve had had a different CB pairing in every game and played Milner at LB twice, which needs remedying, if we click defensively, we could have a decent season, maybe an outside shout for top 4, but top 6 is probably more realistic.