anybody else using the Chase Tone, 'Secret Preamp' ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    @Laurie and @Sassafras, have you found the same observations or been able to put the 'not up to snuff' setting to use? What is the noticeable change apart from slight volume drop?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    lukedlb said:
    @Laurie and @Sassafras, have you found the same observations or been able to put the 'not up to snuff' setting to use? What is the noticeable change apart from slight volume drop?

I haven't tried the Secret Preamp.
    I just wondered how it compared to the EP Booster which I have and use quite a bit.
  • LaurieLaurie Frets: 97
    edited October 2016
    Hi @lukedlb,

Really interesting to hear your observations.  Thanks a lot for taking the time to post them in this thread.

I really wish I could be of more help.  But, so far I've only been using the Secret Preamp as an always on pedal, placed after my OD, EP Booster, and before my Belle Epoch echo.  The settings I use are: toggle switch in the "up" position (brighter sounding) and the knob set to, a little past noon /2 o'clock-ish.

My BE echo has been irritating me lately by causing excessive white noise when cranked, so I tried putting the EP Booster and Secret Preamp after the BE - logic being; perhaps the boost pedals were juicing the inherent BE noisiness and therefore
    exacerbating the white noise the BE creates - however,  it turned out the white noise was even louder when placing the boost pedals after the BE.  Go figure?

To be honest, I haven't really explored using the "not up to snuff" setting. It's a good setting to have, as is the toggle down position for a darker/bassier sound, however I'm still yet to find myself in a musical setting where I feel the need to use those features.

I think you really hit the nail on the head when you said, "Well, the sp is part of the amp."  In a sense, the Secret Preamp upgrades and strengthens your overall guitar voice.

Have a great one!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    I love my chase tone red and silver fuzz, and the secret preamp. IMO better than the ep. For me the secret works cause it makes my les Paul into my tweed just a tad more single coily. Just opens things up a bit in an Eq sort of way. It also changes the feel of your attack a bit though. A bit stiffer. But while I have one Cornish, one cruiser, one vl effects on my board, I have three chase tones ;)
    Try turning up the volume on your compressor or boost and send it into the Sp. It should produce some nice drive. 
    @ruoma are you using the sp near the end? Are you using it at unity gain or boosting it?
    Does the dark setting improve fuzz interaction? I have an earlier model and it interacts wonderfully. 
    I use it at the end at unity gain. Using it after my red stardust fuzz face gives a nice broken amp vibe. 
    Has anyone encountered any interference when using the pre amp with modulation? Both my Foxrox paradox and neo ventilator produce signal whine with the pre amp switched on. All power is isolated. I even tried going back to battery power. All pedals are through a Gigrig G2. 
  • damm73damm73 Frets: 358
    lukedlb said:
    Has anyone encountered any interference when using the pre amp with modulation? Both my Foxrox paradox and neo ventilator produce signal whine with the pre amp switched on. All power is isolated. I even tried going back to battery power. All pedals are through a Gigrig G2. 
    Haven't had any issues with the secret pre-amp, using near end of chain before delay and reverb, just a hair above unity gain. However, I HAVE had issues in the past when using the G2 with various combinations of pedals causing signal whine. Seemed to be the G2 itself that was causing the problem in my case and especially when using the on board buffers.  
    Thanks @damm73. I'll give the pre amp a try after the G2. 
    You were right @damm73; putting the pre amp outside the G2 eliminates the high frequency whine from the paradox as well as the tap tempo of the el capistan. I wonder how many other problems are caused by the G2. 
    I'm selling mine if anyone's interested..
    The sp has sat permanently on outside the G2 without any issues. It helps separate the strings. It improves fuzz and dirt. It makes clean sparkle and warm. And it can drive the amp with a slight boost.