Wife soloist PA

So the time has come for a speaker upgrade for my wife who is a soloist, with backing tracks. Her gigs range from 60 up to a maximum of 200, predominantly pubs, clubs and hotels . Music is via backing tracks and mostly pop music so a moderate volume.

given the portability I'm thinking 10" speakers (maybe 12") but also thinking about the array systems...Bose l1 etc

any soloist/duo with some advice would be appreciated 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    I do occasional duo gigs with a singer…

If you're using backing tracks you will probably need either a sub or bigger speakers than 10s, or the result will be boxy and lack bottom end, even at fairly low volume.

You can always get the 10s first and add a powered sub later if it doesn't work though - I would say that's the better solution than larger mains anyway. You only really need one sub.

I can't really advise much on modern systems since my set-up is old-school gear I've acquired over the years, but I have 200W/side for the 10" tops and a 300W 1x15" sub, plus 50W for a couple of small monitors.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    2 RCF 710 tops, and you would be surprised at how much low-end you can get out of them, problem with Subs is the weight, even the lightest 12" subs come in at 20kg
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited August 2016
    Yeah, the RCF 7 series are hard to beat at that price point (I normally don't like moulded plastic enclosures).  Get these if you can (18kg which is an easy lift) http://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/pro-speaker-systems/art-7-series/art-732-a

edited August 2016
    The speakers in the link above have a particularly nice midrange and top end (for that given price point) - nice for vocals.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

Don't disagree that the 732's are better than the 710's but they are bigger, heavier, and double the money

We use the 710's (with subs) for a 5 piece rock band in small venues and they by no means lacking in volume or clarity

Regarding the line-array systems, the smaller ones in my experience lack a fair bit of oomph, and the bigger ones are less portable than the 2 good speakers on stands approach

edited August 2016
    Yeah, it's amazing what they are getting out of gear at this end of the market (as long as they are used within their limits - most are abused and sound rough).  The 732A are still relatively cheap for what they are cramming into them.  At about 18kg they are that magic weight where you don't struggle when you lift them (I've got a pair of 26kg 12" two ways and you do look at them twice before attempting the lift).