How have I only just heard this?

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751

It's great!
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    The bit at 0:44 really reminds me of Jellyfish @Kebabkid @octatonic @Paul_C :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    edited August 2016
    Absolutely fantastic song. Where have you been?!

Make the most of this period in your life - you still have a load of awesome music from the past you haven't found yet. It's awesome. Once you hit 30 it starts getting much harder to find that same feeling. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Once you hit 30 it starts getting much harder to find that same feeling. 
    I haven't had that happen to me.
    It seems like most of my contemporaries are still listening to the same bands they were in the 90's.
    I wasn't distracted by day job or family responsibilities so I've kept listening.
    Don't stop listening.

Excellent tune- it was a bit of a summer anthem in Sydney in the mid 90's.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    octatonic said:
    It seems like most of my contemporaries are still listening to the same bands they were in the 90's.
    I wasn't distracted by day job or family responsibilities so I've kept listening.
    Don't stop listening.

I'm very glad for you! Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. But I'm certainly finding it harder and harder to find new (to me) stuff that I really love. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I thought that track was thoroughly ridiculed at the time. They were never a "cool" band and that might have been their most derided track. 

(For the record I like the band, I bought their albums and saw their gigs back then). 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    octatonic said:
    Don't stop listening.

I'm very glad for you! Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. But I'm certainly finding it harder and harder to find new (to me) stuff that I really love. 
    It has become a lot easier with Spotify's 'Related Artists' tab.
    I used to have to wade through music magazines.

This year it has been Silversun Pickups, Shinedown, Stone Broken, Puscifier, Show of Hands, Freak Kitchen, Blind Guardian that I've been getting into.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I saw them live. I'm guessing 1989 or 1990. My memory is of a great gig, although I used to drink a lot more in those days...

Somewhat mixed up in my head with The Icicle Works who I also saw around that time - their inclusion of Neil Young covers possibly some indication of the inner turmoil that was leading to the band breaking up around then. Their hit was Love is a Wonderful Colour if anyone wants to YouTube that.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Yeah, I can hear that Connor and Del Amitri were/are a great band and were superb live. Always liked the singer's voice.

Even The Hoosiers are incorporating some Jellyfish sounds and progressions in their recent stuff.
    edited August 2016
    Yeah I love the singer's voice!

I've just seen this song came out in 1995. At the risk of making some of you feel old, that is also the year I appeared. :lol:

I wish that'd been my birth-week number one or something. All I get instead is Take That. :(
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 744
    This is my Del  Amitri's favorite song:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TxbIU0X-lCI
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    This is my favourite of theirs. I never really considered them a power pop band, but this is frickin' textbook.

Needless to say, if you like this sort of thing, you should go immediately to the daddies of the whole power pop thing- Big Star.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @english_bob I've meant to check Big Star out for a while and am just doing so. I like it a lot!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Great band. Not the sort of stuff I'd buy mind you.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    Bucket said:
    @english_bob I've meant to check Big Star out for a while and am just doing so. I like it a lot!
    The ultimate cult band. You'll find that the first two albums, #1 Record and Radio City are fairly similar, but Third/Sister Lovers is a whole different thing.

It helps to know a little about the band's history- they were from Memphis and signed to Stax records, who were the biggest local label, only they were primarily a soul/R&B label and didn't really have a clue how to market a rock record and were having financial problems that led to issues distributing their albums. So while every music critic in the US thought Big Star were mind-blowingly awesome and didn't mind saying so, their records weren't in the shops!

Suffice to say, this was pretty depressing for the band, and that reflects in the content of Third/Sister Lovers, which they made for lack of anything else to do, with an increasing awareness that it would probably never get released. As such, it's pretty much a random collection of songs that never got edited down to a fixed running order or anything. It circulated as bootleg recordings for over a decade before getting anything like an official release.

If you've got Netflix, the documentary Nothing Can Hurt Me is well worth watching.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Bucket said:
    The bit at 0:44 really reminds me of Jellyfish @Kebabkid @octatonic @Paul_C :)
    Jellyfish - Great band!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    How? Because your fringe is of such forested proportions you can only see the bottom 1/4 of your computer screen.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    How? Because your fringe is of such forested proportions you can only see the bottom 1/4 of your computer screen.
    On a good day.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    If you're enjoying Big Star (and that pleases me greatly), I can heartily recommend The Posies and Teenage Fanclub.

Two of the Posies anded up in the later incarnation of Big Star, which is how I became aware of the Posies. I went to see the newly reformed Big Star at the Reading Festival in 1993 and, having read that half of the new Big Star were also in The Posies, and that they also just happened to be playing at Reading on the same day, decided to check them out. I was utterly blown away! Their album Frosting On The Beater is probably the best place to start.

Teenage Fanclub, or The Fannies as they are known by those who love them, are a band who have lazily been compared to Big Star for pretty much their entire career. Alex from Big Star loved them though, just as well, as some of his ashes are now taped to the inside of Norman Blake's  OM-18! Bandwagonesque is the album I'd suggest to start with, and then chronologically from then onwards (Thirteen, Grand Prix, Songs From Northern Britain, etc).
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1555
    Del Amitris album "Twisted" is fantastic. That CD lived in my car for ages! Must dig it out...
  • Feel good!