Steve Lukather's Rosanna isolated guitar track

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
edited August 2016 in Guitar

The distorted guitars are quite bright and thrashy sounding on their own in my opinion, but they mix in really well with the entire band on the finished product. 

His solos are just amazing though, especially that last solo. 

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    I've always loved the outro solo and it's interesting to hear it isolated. Much better in context though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I've always loved the outro solo and it's interesting to hear it isolated. Much better in context though!
    Yeah the outro solo is sublime.  One of Lukather's greatest ever moments.  What do you think of the tone?
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Fascinating, the rhythm parts in particular. I genuinely think the solo tone sounds awful out of context - but of course, *in* context, fantastic.

markv said:
    Fascinating, the rhythm parts in particular. I genuinely think the solo tone sounds awful out of context - but of course, *in* context, fantastic.
    For me I think the tone is awful on it's own, but it sounds great when you have the rest of the band in there with the keyboards, bass and drums and everything.  I guess is Luke had too much low end on his guitar it would sound mushy.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Hear that compressor working.

markv said:
    For me I think the tone is awful on it's own, but it sounds great when you have the rest of the band in there with the keyboards, bass and drums and everything.  I guess is Luke had too much low end on his guitar it would sound mushy.
    Yes.
    This is also why the sound you pull alone in your house will almost never work live/studio essentially any place you are playing with others.
    The trick with guitar solo tones is to fit in between the bass and the cymbals.
    With rhythm guitars it is to fit between the bass, cymbals and not get too in the way of the vocal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:

markv said:
    Yes.
    This is also why the sound you pull alone in your house will almost never work live/studio essentially any place you are playing with others.
    With rhythm guitars it is to fit between the bass, cymbals and not get too in the way of the vocal.
    I just realised this fact last year when reading up on how to produce tracks and was surprised about how much bass and top end can get cut from some guitar tones in the studio. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited August 2016
    Fascinating, thanks for posting. I used to play Rosanna in a band many years ago, but I didn't play that.

Monster player.

It's not a competition.
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    If you want to hear more examples of shitty sounds thats sound great together check out the Aja documentary from the Classic Albums series, the bit when they are soloing the tracks one by one on the mixing desk, I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about...
    octatonic said:

markv said:
    Yes.
    I just realised this fact last year when reading up on how to produce tracks and was surprised about how much bass and top end can get cut from some guitar tones in the studio. 
    Guitarists who turn producer/engineer have to learn this really fast otherwise their productions sound very unbalanced.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Elx said:
    If you want to hear more examples of shitty sounds thats sound great together check out the Aja documentary from the Classic Albums series, the bit when they are soloing the tracks one by one on the mixing desk, I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about...
    when they are playing through the solos on Peg? 
  • Very cool, you can really hear the valve-ness on the clean parts. Also surprised how thrashy the dirty bits sound on their own!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    Elx said:
    Yes! :)
  • Elx said:
    Elx said:
    The solo they selected is a classic by Jay Graydon.
    It's not a competition.
  • It's funny how much trashing this tone would get online these days if it was posted by a no name guy ( like me lol)
    buts it's a classic example of 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts' 
    also an object lesson in minimalist guitar parts. 
    I'd never noticed the chorus on the lead tone before too. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• Guitarists who turn producer/engineer have to learn this really fast otherwise their productions sound very unbalanced.
    Scott Henderson talks about this on his podcast.
    when he recorded his most recent album, he handed over the rough mixes to his producer, who basically said " all the guitars sound too nice" in other words too full and rich. 
    He had to cut lows and mids of rhythm tracks etc to make it 'work' as a mix. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Elx said:
    Elx said:
    The solo they selected is a classic by Jay Graydon.
    Robben ford also cut a solo for Peg.....
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Enjoyed Luke's isolated track, thanks for posting bingefeller.  The previous breakdown of the recording of Rosanna was educational too, absolutely classic track IMHO

I put up a thread about "the making of Aja" some time back,  ~

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/16983/

:) 

Enjoyed Luke's isolated track, thanks for posting bingefeller.  The previous breakdown of the recording of Rosanna was educational too, absolutely classic track IMHO

I put up a thread about "the making of Aja" some time back,  ~

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/16983/

:) 
    Cool thanks!  I will watch this later.  
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    One of the most pleasing things about this is how even a great player can sound strange when not accompanied. 

Tone wise, I'd go as far as to say it's horrific on its own but as others have said it's a great example of playing (including a tone) for the song.