Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The awesome vocal harmonies thread.

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
I've been increasingly paying attention to the vocals in the music I listen to, and I've always loved a good vocal harmony. Obviously the vocal melodies themselves are the important bit, but sometimes an extra voice or two just makes it all so much better and takes that melody somewhere different. Not to mention awesome multitracked parts with loads of voices. Here are some favourites:

Alice in Chains's stuff is full of harmonies between Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell - this track being a good example. Not to mention that Layne is probably my favourite lead singer ever:

The Feeling have some corking harmonies in this track - the section that begins at 2:30 with all the multitracked voices is particularly great. I just stumbled upon a video of them performing an acoustic version and not only were all the harmony parts there, they were all dead on. Fucking great band.

This track from Ginger Wildheart's latest project. The bit about 3 minutes in, when it's just vocals...

Not cool to admit I like this (my dad played it to me, blame him), but oh my god the harmonies. Amazing.

System of a Down have freaking awesome harmonies - see 2:50 for details:

Then this - Fleetwood Mac are another good band for this sort of thing, this bit at 2:00 is particularly awesome IMO. Only quite small but I love it - Stevie Nicks's part, panned to the left and quite low in the mix. Don't know why, just love it.

Then there's Jellyfish, oh my god.

Only one extra voice but the line at 1:52 is great:

This acoustic cover of a Badfinger track:

There had to be some Queen on here - I love the way the heavily layered backing vocals alternate between a call-and-response with Freddie's leads and actually harmonising with him, it's brilliant.

Always liked this too - difficult to find vocals in this track which aren't layered, they're great harmonies too :D

Finally - 10cc.

Over to you - your favourites?
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments