practising with a metronome

What's Hot
mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
For all my sins this year (before I knobbed my shoulder) I was practising with a metronome.
One thing I have noticed, those licks and runs I've learned with a metronome are definitly smoother and more accurately played than those I learned without.

I am now going to learn everything with a metronome, as, for me it give the best results.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I just got an app on my phone that's a metronome.
    I don't really know how i got on without one before.

Badly maybe?

If i plug the phone into the Auxiliary input on my amp it plays the click at amp volume mixed with the guitar and that's really useful. 
  • They're also a big help in learning to improvise.  I had lots of students that knew all the scales and modes but sounded like crap when they tried to solo over a song, all because they never learned to count and play in time with the music.  Some argued that if you're counting you're not improvising, but the improvising part is in the notes you play, the phrasing you use, etc...., and if it's in time with the music, it is music.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited August 2016
    I use the full version of MetroTimer on my iPhone. There may now be a better app but this one works for me, does the divisions I need and allows me to accent beats as necessary etc. I don't like going through the faff of setting up a click track in a DAW as this is faster. I usually stick my phone metronome on and watch some stuff of YouTube (watched a lot of interviews recently) or iPlayer, anything that isn't music in itself as that would be distracting.

I never write with one, but for practising metronomes are a fantastic tool. I've been focusing on improving my palm muted rhythm playing lately and the metronome keeps me honest.
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited August 2016
    Recently enjoyed Eric Skye's "Groove" video, which demonstrates and discusses using a metronome for  2nd & 4th beat practice. 
    It's the first of his 30 day guitar challenge series.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom