Stanley FX Overdrive

AdjiAdji Frets: 142
in FX Reviews tFB Trader
I used to run a website / blog / magazine type thing and did pedal reviews demos etc. I was feeling pretty nostalgic today so decided to use way back machine to go and capture some of the good reviews from the site.

I always get a little excited when I find another UK based builder, even more so when they are about twenty miles from me! Stanley FX are based in the North East of England and currently have several drive pedals in their range. Today I’m taking a look at the Classic Overdrive.
-
Features
It’s green, it’s mean, and its probably a tubescream…er. It is. Stanley FX don’t attempt to hide the fact it is in fact an 808 clone built to the specs of the original 808 but using only high quality parts to really improve the sound, and true bypass of course.
The Gain, Tone and Volume pots need no introduction so I won’t bore you with formalities but it is interesting to note that the Volume doesn’t go quite as loud as many other 808 clones I’ve tried. I’m not saying its quiet, but when you compare it to several other 808s it is quieter.
-
Sounds
With the basics out the way its time to focus on how it sounds. It sounds, to be honest, as expected, like an 808. But… a little different. Whether its just the fact that Stanley FX use high quality parts or they have tinkered with the circuit slightly, its definitely a little different. It sounds a little crunchier throughout the gain range than many other 808s until it reaches the top end where it compresses and smooths out nicely. In fact, the Classic Overdrive generally sounds a bit less compressed than most 808s.

Contrary to what is popular it seems that Stanley have not attempted to increase the low end response of the original 808 too much. Instead the emphasis seems to be on the mid range and lower high end, which is probably why it remains clear and crunchy throughout most of the gain range. As usual with this kind of circuit it does work well on its own but really comes to life in front of a slightly driven to semi-driven amp to really get them valves cooking.

One more interesting thing about the Classic Overdrive is that the tone knob sounds a whole lot more usable. Normally 808s can get very shrill, very quickly but the COD remains pleasant throughout the tone range. sure it gets glassy at higher settings but it isn’t as uncomfortably piercing as most and really helps to bring out the pick attack and crunchiness even more.
-
Overall
There isn’t much left to say. It outperforms pretty much every overdrive pedal in its price range (<£100) that I can think of. On the subject of price it is very fairly, even cheaply, priced at around £89.99 direct from the Stanley FX website. On top of the COD being a solidly built, great sounding and well-priced 808 based circuit the proprietor of Stanley FX, that’s Mick, seems like a sound geezer too.

If you are looking for an 808 but with true bypass and a couple of other minor refinements and don’t want to spend a fortune, definitely check out the Stanley FX Classic Overdrive, recommended.