guitar neglect

What's Hot
grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
No I don't mean horribly treated or enforced into slavery guitars but guitars you own but never touch,what do you do about it? Do you not sweat it and leave them where they are or do you sell on?

I have one guitar that since getting has made me leave all the rest in their cases,it doesn't sound the best of the bunch but in every other respect its bloody perfect for me. I even bought another guitar after getting it and aside from checking its ok haven't even bothered to play it. So after 4 months of not touching another guitar do I assume I've found the model that works for me and sell the rest to buy another to mod/tinker with or just hold my horses because GAS is a fickle bitch and I'll change my mind in a few more months?

The dilemmas of the developed world right?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Flog it to me.

I have 5 British pounds.

Honestly, there is no answer, but I would have to think long and hard.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I tend to sell what I'm not using. Mrs nags me for the space, which is fair enough as we don't reside in a mansion, and I don't see the point of a damn fine guitar sitting in a case when it should be getting put to good use. Doesn't mean a want to sell it, but it makes more sense.

Of course, it also means I can spend more money on 'guitar shit'.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Well if you're recording at some point, and you think the others sound great, you keep them.

Otherwise bin them off and try and get clones of the one you like best, but with different pickup config's etc. Or use the funds to buy something else you might use more often.

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 539
    I have been thinking about this myself recently .
    Whenever I get a new guitar the others just stay in their cases for months if not years.
    I am tempted to sell them but know that I'll regret it if I do.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2014
    I've got 5 electrics, and each on gets gigged. I only ever take two to a gig, but I make sure they all get a go. It's not a strict rota or anything like that, but I usually think "I've not played that one for a while".

Of course there's a honeymoon period when I get a new one. Last year I got my Les Paul and that did most of the gigs running up towards Xmas. This Saturday I'll leave it at home and take the Tele and Strat. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    All the big rock stars have literally 100's of guitars that they never play. You've got how many? Half a dozen? A dozen? I say keep them. You'll play them all again, at some point.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    Last year I got my Les Paul and that did most of the gigs running up towards Xmas. This Saturday I'll leave it at home and take the Tele and Strat. 

You'll be thinking of your Lester though. :D
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    You don't need more than one guitar - it's not compulsory.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Say it aint so...!  :((
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• If you're not playing it just weigh it up as an investment.

Do you need the money?  Is it the best thing to sell to get money?
    If you keep it will it increase in value?
    If you sell it will you ever re-buy it again and would you likely re-buy at a higher or a lower price than what you're probably going to sell at currently?
    Would you actually miss it if it was gone?
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    ICBM said:
    You don't need more than one guitar - it's not compulsory.
    True - beyond any practical gigging needs (eg, tunings).

Nobody else cares - people say I make every guitar sound the same anyway. If that's true, then the only possible difference is hardtail or vibrato bridge. And I'm not sure anybody other than me cares about that either.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Having been through a lot of different guitars in the past few years I have now settled on the 'one of each' principle.  Some tunes just sound better if you play it on a Strat rather than a Lester and vice-versa.  Greedy or not, I have a Strat (OK two), a Tele, A Lester and now an SG.  Sorted!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7133
    I have way too many guitars.

I really should sell some.

Chances are I'll get more.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    usedtobe said:
    All the big rock stars have literally 100's of guitars that they never play
    all of them ?  

crikey
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Richardj said:
    Having been through a lot of different guitars in the past few years I have now settled on the 'one of each' principle.  Some tunes just sound better if you play it on a Strat rather than a Lester and vice-versa.  Greedy or not, I have a Strat (OK two), a Tele, A Lester and now an SG.  Sorted!
    I've often found that when I'm writing songs, I'll write something completely different on a Les Paul than I would on a Strat - and they will sound 'wrong' if I try to play them on the other one.  So, in conclusion, I agree - one of each is the perfect answer...  Of course, that includes colours (everyone knows Candy Apple Red sounds different to Olympic White)...   :D
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    stonevibe said:
    I have way too many guitars.

Not possible, surely?!
    bertie said:
    usedtobe said:
    All the big rock stars have literally 100's of guitars that they never play
    all of them ?  

crikey
    Have a wow, mate! And a lol!

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    I feel guilty having guitars I'm not using when there are bills etc to pay, I'm not a gigging musician so they arent paying their way so to speak, just something else to twiddle with at home.  I usually have one or two at any time, I currently have only one, a 50's Tele, ive just sold a dano. At one point I had six, just didn't make any sense to me after a while. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    My 84 Strat hasn't been out of it's case in 2 years.. everything else gets an airing :)

the trick is to have a variety... it's great for winding my other half up with...

"no that one is a hard tail with a p90 in the bridge ... totally different beast from the hardtail with a humbucker ... cos the scale length is different, that one's six aside and semi-solid too.... no that one has a tremolo... no that one has a totally different type of tremolo..."

the other trick is to buy identical guitar cases and stash them all over the house.. ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • I suspect that, once the Tele and the PRS alikes have been finished, I'll sell my LTD.  That'll mean I have a Jazzmaster for ham fisted chord stabbings and funk, a Tele for poppy stuff, funk and country and the PRS style for my heavy stuff.  

It'll be quite hard to sell it, because it's my first 'proper good' guitar, but if it's not going to get used, I'd rather not have the clutter, and a few hundred quid won't go amiss - it could be a couple of really nice pedals, or a new amp should I want a change from the bandit.  

I'd rather it be something I use.  I feel much the same about my bass, but I'm making the effort to play it, even if just to learn RHCP songs.  And I'm now thoroughly enjoying it, even if I have a hard time controlling my tone with it.  I feel it'll make me a better guitarist, too.  Also, it's a much, much better bass than it's monetary value, whereas the ltd is amazing, but at the end of the day, replaceable.