Axisus's Parkrun progress thread.

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
edited May 2018 in Off Topic
Anyone else do them?

Planning for just under 30 mins. Humiliatingly slow for an ex-runner like me but Probably par for age, weight etc.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    I'm planning to once I get a bit better at running
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    I've done quite a few. It's a great community feel and a lot of fun. No-one cares about the time you do (apart from you, maybe). I considered myself pretty fit when I did my first one and I got left for dust!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
    You should just dive in. Mrs A has friends who don't run it all without stopping
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    axisus said:
    You should just dive in. Mrs A has friends who don't run it all without stopping
    Yeah agreed. Give it a try. As mentioned thru are extremely welcoming to ALL abilities. I've been running for years whereas my dads only just started and we go together. He absolutely loves it even though he's generally in the last 5-10 people to finish. I think he secretly enjoys the fact there's more people waiting to cheer him at the finish line!
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I did a few. Usually ended up fast walking in the slipstream of a woman pushing her kid/kids around in a buggy.
  • I'm off to do the Warriors run (15k) up and around a mountain at three today! Haven't done it in 7 years lol. Will be fun!
    Have a blast @axisus :)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    My partner has just gone put for her park run.  She has many great things to say about it.  Certainly there is nothing to be embarrassed about if you aren't fast and it seems that they have pacemaking people at various paces so if you want to target a time it's relatively easy to do.
  • I actually first misread the title and thought you were doing a "parkour" run. Respect either way!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Is it 5k?
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I did one last year, with the intention to do more. I want to try and do it again next week and keep it up. I stopped and started when I did mine and I still wasn't last. The volunteers around the route were all incredibly encouraging. What I like about it is you can't stop halfway through and give up without a ton of people noticing. You have to run the distance.
    My V key is broken
    That was bloody hard! Can't say I enjoyed it, but my competitive side pushed me harder that I would normally run.

Got around in 25.45.  Age grade of 58.71% so up on average. Way short of the times I did in my 20s though, I'd have been first by about 40 seconds!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Well done.
    Going to do more?

I'm in Tuscany at the moment- our morning runs have been up and down the olive groves at the agritourismo hotel place we are staying at.
    Sounds much nicer than it is- very, very steep, loads of bugs about, but we get it done.
    Treating it like a HIIT work out.
    A recommendation - I started at the back, it's much better for morale to be passing people than being passed. For the whole 5k only one person passed me, it was the last 30 meters. It would be good to go every week but I'll have to see how it pans out as it will inconvenience Mrs A.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    I do it a couple of times a month. I only started running last year (aged 50). I did my first one in 35 mins after training for 3 months. I'm now down to 28 or 26.30 on a good day. The guy who was fastest at our parkrun this morning was just over 15 minutes and the slowest was around 48 minutes. No one cares how fast you run. Just enjoy it!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    I walked Parkrun today - brought up the rear
    damaged my calf and Achilles about 8 weeks ago, so this was first time back 

sev112 said:
    I walked Parkrun today - brought up the rear
    damaged my calf and Achilles about 8 weeks ago, so this was first time back 

Good on you for getting out! I had 17 years off running with Achilles trouble
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    edited August 2016
    Well done for getting stuck in!
    I did my 60th Parkrun this morning. I try to go as often as I can. I love it!  I`ve met loads of great people and even joined my local running club.  It`s a wonderful thing.  Fast or slow, it doesn`t matter.
    I started about 2.5 years ago, a bit overweight and with no training.  It inspired me to lose a couple of stone and reduce my pb from 35 mins to 23.   I was aiming for sub 21 but I unfortunately I  developed an irritating heart arrhythmia which has slowed me right down again.  Once I get that fixed I`ll be back at it!     
    A bit annoying/frustrating, I was getting bad cramps in my calf muscle all evening and night time. Always worrying as that was my 'blood clot' leg a couple of years ago. Looks like a layoff from running for a bit ...... hopefully not a big problem. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Leg cramps are usually resolved by exercise- stretching is good, walking is good too.
    Did you stretch after running?
    octatonic said:

Did you stretch after running?
    Annoyingly I didn't. 1) I was seriously knackered 2) saw people I knew and chatted 3) it was all a bit weird as running is a lonely thing for me and I was caught up with over 200 other runners. It completely threw me out of routine.

Must do it next time.