THR100HD

What's Hot
mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
I am just about to move to a 4th floor flat and the thought of having to lug my main rig in and out of it several times a week isn't something I'm look forward to. So I'm looking for a light weight giggable set up that would serve for practices and some small gigs and these look like they may do the job. Head in one hand, cab in the other and guitar on my back. One times down the stairs and done! 

They are in stock a Bristol PMT so will head down to try them in the next fortnight but just wondered if anyone had one and had gigged it and had any feedback?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9505
    They are, to be fair, very very good indeed. You wouldn't believe that they weren't valve, and the two amps working together are superb.

@rossyamaha will add more insight and depth !
  • Several times a week?? Do you gig or rehearse a lot?
  • How do these compare to the thr10?
  • AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    I have one, but I don't gig. However, I do walk the thing up and down the stairs a bit. And you're right, amp in one hand, cab in the other, geetar on the back is easy - even for this aging and creaky guitarist. Actually, I think my missus could do it - the amp is SO light (and watch out, you can very easily drag it off the cab if your lead is too short).

I probably shouldn't have bought the cab myself - I DI the thing into my home studio most of the time, or use headphones. But every now and then I plug it in to the cab in the living room and get it up to "rehearsal volume" - it ROCKS!

I absolutely love it. I've already been using a THR10C for a few years, but when I heard the sounds the 100 could do, I just had to have one.

Btw, if you're DI'ing or using headphones - I was already digging it a lot since I got it in March... then a couple of weeks ago I decided to experiment with 3rd-party Impulse Response files. OH MY GOODNESS!

The balanced XLR outs and the headphone socket have speaker simulation that you can change if you use the supplied utility program. Each amp model has its own IR slot, you can install the supplied IRs or use any 3rd party ones. By default it has some appropriate cabs installed for each model - can't remember what they were, but I was getting so confused trying to dial in a tone with the cab and then getting something different coming out of the studio speakers. So I swapped IRs quite early on - I decided to install the ones provided of the THR cab itself, and I stopped getting confused!

But the other weekend I checked out free IRs on the web, found some I liked. When plugged into my studio now (or headphones), it's playing through some hairy Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks, mic'd with an SM57. It was good before, but it sounds heavenly now.

The cab itself (I've got the 1x12) does a superb job if you can turn it up in a reasonable space (eg our living room when all the neighbours are out). But my studio is the box/3rd-bedroom, I've yet to hear the cab sounding better than the monitor speakers in there.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3667
    How do these compare to the thr10?
    They're 90 more.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    How do these compare to the thr10?
    In my experience:

For living-room "competing with the TV" volumes, just enough to p1ss off the missus or immediate neighbours, I much prefer the THR10. At that volume, that feels most like playing a gig-amp.

For anything else (both louder, quieter, and DI'd or headphones) the THR100 wins hands down for me.

The THR10 is what it is - that "third amp" idea they came up with. And it works brilliantly as laptop speakers too. The THR100 is a real amp that you can tame down to whispers and can use for silent recording via the balanced XLR out(s) or headphone practice.

If my wife told me I had to lose one of them now, I'd be stuck... I'd probably keep the THR10 because having a real amp is a bit of a luxury for me. But I wouldn't be able to get such a good recorded guitar sound.
  • Several times a week?? Do you gig or rehearse a lot?
    My main band gig weekly, plus I have some regular dep gigs, rehersals and I play in the house band for an open mic night
  • Cheers, guys. 
    I really need to try a THD100 it seems!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I just got one last night and am extremely pleased so far.
    I'm still experimenting with the IRs, I think it works better with brighter ones.
    I'd be interested to know what are people's favourite ones.
    Couple of notes for those interested : while maxing out the master almost always sounds better, resist the temptation to have the gain too high as it makes it sound quite boxy ( I remember my mesa boogie was like that too ).
    If more gain is needed then engaging the boost pedals sounds much better.
    I'm still hunting for the best impulse response, Yamaha could have made more of an effort to provide some guidance in the manual there.
  • Have you tried the free Celestion ir on their site ? I like it more than the ones included on the thr100. 
    Nope, I will give it a go, cheers !
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2319
    btw if anyone is interested, i have just taken out n eminence legend 1218 out of my cab which is the matched speaker for the THR100, so can sell it if anyone looking for one./
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    When my old Cube 60 modelers finally died & i started looking for a replacement(& still am),the 100HD was top of my list,but,i just couldn't get anything like the sound i was looking for out of the shop Demo amp & i tried probably half a dozen times.
    I hate the idea of buying an Amp from a shop & then returning it(which is why i tried it so many times in the shop),but i keep reading posts about how good they are at gigging levels,so i might rekindle my interest & if i have to return it so be it..
    GrahamG said:
    When my old Cube 60 modelers finally died & i started looking for a replacement(& still am),the 100HD was top of my list,but,i just couldn't get anything like the sound i was looking for out of the shop Demo amp & i tried probably half a dozen times.
    I hate the idea of buying an Amp from a shop & then returning it(which is why i tried it so many times in the shop),but i keep reading posts about how good they are at gigging levels,so i might rekindle my interest & if i have to return it so be it..
    I would go for something like a quilter pro block tbh.   I sold my THR100H as it wasn't loud enough on the clean settings in a band situation.  Sounded awesome in the house tho!
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    How about the Volume levels of the other channels?,i never use the Clean channel.
    GrahamG said:
    How about the Volume levels of the other channels?,i never use the Clean channel.
    The only two channels I used on the yam was the clean and the crunch  neither were loud enough for my bands. The problock is loud enough and sounds excellent up to medium drive. It also takes pedals really well