Ebay strat necks

What's Hot

I'm doing a strat build and want a gloss tinted maple strat neck, or just tinted. There are tons of cheap ones on ebay, seemingly from china via UK sellers. Has anyone tried any of these? As long as it plays well, I'm not really fussed on price or where it comes from. Surely they aren't going to be that different from squier necks? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Yes. I bought a £20 Telecaster neck through a distribution point in the UK. Nice finish. Frets above the 12th are seriously out of place, making it virtually useless
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27574
    The neck is the part of the guitar where precision and quality is most important. It is pivotal to playability and tuning. Why skimp on the most critical component?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    Sporky said:
    The neck is the part of the guitar where precision and quality is most important. It is pivotal to playability and tuning. Why skimp on the most critical component?
    That was may main thought. It was more out of curiosity as to the quality of them, but roland's comments say everything I needed to hear! 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    I've had a couple from an Ebay seller called earlpilanz, they seem to cruise around the £55-70 depending upon spec including the odd bound board. Needed a fret dress but played well enough once done and had the virtue of already being finished. That said he doesn't seem to have anything available currently
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    I wanted to try the Chinese neck thinking that the wood might be borderline, and the fret wire soft, but they are all made on jigs so should be playable. The opposite turned out to be the case. Nice wood. Useable fret wire. Good neck carve and finish. Clearly someone got the fret jig wrong, and there's a batch of unusable necks being sold off. The supplier was still selling them last time I looked.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27574
    Sporky said:
    That was may main thought. It was more out of curiosity as to the quality of them, but roland's comments say everything I needed to hear! 
    It's one of those things where if you could choose from a dozen it might work out. I don't think I could buy the timber and other bits for £20.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Sporky said:

Only the fender 3 bolt neck could be described as truly pivotal to playability and tuning...,

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    TBH, with ebay's buyer's protection racket system, if you buy one and its a load of arse, you can return it within 14days.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    Sporky said:
    Absolutely spot on. Even on mid-priced guitars, the frets etc. can often need a level to really bring the playability up to scratch. I think in a partscaster, the neck should get the lion's share of the budget. 
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    You have echoed my original thoughts, will stay away from the jagged rocks of cheap ebay necks.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    I bought a dirt cheap, Chinese paddle head jobby, a little while back, for a project, and I'm still working on the body, so haven't had chance to test it in action, but I did a test fit with 2 strings, and it seems like it will be fine. Quite a shallow D profile, which isn't my preferred feel, but it seems like it will be useable.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    I got a £30 one which was very basic, but serviceable and worked okay.

it took a fair bit of fretwork to get level and playing nicely, but it made a poor teenagers day
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    My main gigging guitar has a £28 Ebay neck on it. The woods plain but the frets are fine and it's set up well. Luck of the draw I spose 
    www.2020studios.co.uk