Tight vs loose playing

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
Some people talk about 'loose playing' (often unkindly referred to as sloppy) as if it is a bad thing, but I for one find that I much prefer loose characterful playing to tight technical stuff. I have had a lot of phases of listening to different types of music over the years, and In the 80s I bought a lot of neoclassical records and also jazzy/jazz fusion from very good session musicians. I kept saying that I liked all that stuff, but to be honest I eventually admitted to myself that I found it all a bit cold and soulless. I find in my old age that I really like stuff that is full of energy, but quite loose and on the edge. I'm not even that fussed if people say it is a bit out of tune, it all seems to add to the creative tension. I remember seeing slash do a live Hendrix cover once. His timing was so off that it was almost terrible, but actually it made it brilliant. I have bowed to the alter of Dream theater for many years, but I'd prefer to hear Rival sons these days.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Whatever suits the song
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    I just like to spray my musical man jizz all over the track.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChéChé Frets: 304
    edited September 2016
    Rhythm is interesting in this context, you can play a loose feel that's tight timing wise. Lead is a bit different. Genre-wise, swing and swung feels are easier to get away with a looser feel. Metal and the ilk require very tight playing even with legato (for me anyway).

To the OP, listen to Yngwie Malmsteen playing live when drunk, best of both worlds D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like to be loose with rhythm. I guess that's why any two-guitar jams I've had end up as bad as they do, and I ended up playing bass (which I prefer to be not-loose).
  • I have always found Hendrix an interesting example. The studio stuff is great. He has a loose feel, the tempos push and pull, but in a nice way and there is energy in the delivery and it suits the songs. The little live stuff I've seen on video shows a guy who almost makes the songs very messy because of his extremely poor playing (I suspect due to the drugs he was on) and I think the performances I hyped up to an extreme...

that said, clinical timing, with no freedom is very dull and unnatural unless the rhythm demands that "tightness" (funk and some metal spring to mind as good examples)

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I think the skill is in knowing how loose one can be within a certain song, ie not overdoing it but getting a good bunch of emotion or expression over without making it sound a dog's dinner and without being clinically tight.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Here is something that might or might not help you .
    In drumming you play 'loose' by making the 8th notes on the beat but letting the 16th notes lag a bit.
    That very choppy, groovy NY style of playing is exactly this.
    You can let the 16th notes lag so much that they almost flam with the next 8th and it still sounds cool.