Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

£859 for a PRS SE......?

What's Hot

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/prs-se-chris-robertson-signature-se-black-stone-cherry-burst.htm?gclid=CIn0qYGQ7s4CFcHNGwod5GkDsw

Chris Robertson Black Stone Cherry Signature model

I cant see this being a big seller and I understand its a UK only model? Surely the market for this is in the US? Looks nice and a great spec, he's an awesome player too - but who is going to spend that sort of money on a PRS SE?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    It's cheaper than buying a se245 and then buying a 57/08 and adjustable prs bridge.  Also the p90/humbucker configuration is cool too.  I checked out the price of the prs bridge recently for my se soapbar and it's an eye watering £270!

ill be buying a tone pros for mine instead.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I thought it looked expensive as well.     Nice guitar but too close to the price of the US models so they aren't going to sell many.      
    I think I read somewhere that they do short runs of some of these artist models and then order more built as they sell rather than make a ton of them.      If world guitars make batches of 25 then its a good way to keep the PRS brand in the media and experiment with artist links and models. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MD said:
    It's cheaper than buying a se245 and then buying a 57/08 and adjustable prs bridge.  Also the p90/humbucker configuration is cool too.  I checked out the price of the prs bridge recently for my se soapbar and it's an eye watering £270!

ill be buying a tone pros for mine instead.  

Definitely a nice model - just that cost is eye watering! The Bridge you are referring to is the USA spec one?, not sure if they are USA made or made by Gotoh in Japan etc but i understand its different origin to the one on this and the Zach Myers model.

• Nice spec but the Singlecut S2 Satin is only £899.  Personally, i'd rather spend the extra £40 for a Maryland made PRS.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited September 2016
    Koreans know how to make guitars too. This isn't even the most expensive guitar/bass coming out of Asia these days.

Everything is expensive now anyway, more-so this year especially (currency rates partly to blame), but at least most things in this price range are good quality currently.
  • More than enough for a used USA S2. The pics on the PRS website show the same adjustable bridge (older ones have the fixed wraparound bridge), but not the 57/08 pickups. A brand new S2 Singlecut is only a couple of hundred more.

I like the SEs I've played and all, but a US PRS is likely to be a better instrument, and personally I prefer the stripped-down look of the S2s to all the flamey crap.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Gibson often get slated for how they're confusing their brand, overlapping model prices of opposing quality etc.

Seems PRS are starting to fall into the same trap.
  • Or pick up a s/h Core line Mira on here for £550 or  a s/h CE22 for that sort of money.........

• PRS gets no money from used sales though. Also this is an artist guitar so you hope the artist is getting something out of this too - brand tie is are probably a lot more necessary now many music fans have a music budget of £9.99/month or whatever Spotify costs currently.
  • PRS bridge prices are crazy high though... I put them on my 2 because they're keepers. If they weren't full US models I would've just got the TonePros one
  • John_P said:
    I thought it looked expensive as well.     Nice guitar but too close to the price of the US models so they aren't going to sell many.      
    I think I read somewhere that they do short runs of some of these artist models and then order more built as they sell rather than make a ton of them.      If world guitars make batches of 25 then its a good way to keep the PRS brand in the media and experiment with artist links and models. 
    Not sure if I read limited to 100?

• I don't doubt the quality of the SE but if I wanted a PRS, given the minimal price difference between a Korean, built under license PRS, or one made in Maryland at the PRS factory, I would struggle to go for the SE.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • There's more expensive WMI guitars, although they usually have more impressive or unusual specs (Ormsbys, some Schecters).  A Strandberg OS is £1,500+.  There's some Ibanez guitars made in Indonesia that are more expensive too.

Pound for pound Korean guitars are usually better than US ones.  People will swear that e.g. LTD 1000s are better than most Gibson Les Pauls so a £900 PRS SE is probably fantastic if you like that sort of thing.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    I like the look of it but no way would I pay that for a guitar that was 'just an SE'. If they made one as a proper PRS I could be interested. 
  • Joke pricing. Feel sorry for any new person getting into guitar and buying that at full phat prices. 

Think what u could get second hand for that money  :)
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    blueskunk said:

Think what u could get second hand for that money  :)
    I think that about a lot of new guitars now though especially the baja which used to have a street price of £399 and now it's almost doubled to £776.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    edited September 2016
    IIRC the UK-limited Bernie Marsden sig that had two 53/10s was £999 so this seems about fair considering only one of its pickups are USA-made. The Bernie was a few years ago too, when sterling was more valuable and PRS list prices were lower in general. 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2353
    edited September 2016

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/prs-se-chris-robertson-signature-se-black-stone-cherry-burst.htm?gclid=CIn0qYGQ7s4CFcHNGwod5GkDsw

Chris Robertson Black Stone Cherry Signature model

I cant see this being a big seller and I understand its a UK only model? Surely the market for this is in the US? Looks nice and a great spec, he's an awesome player too - but who is going to spend that sort of money on a PRS SE?

Black Stone Cherry are FAR bigger in the UK than in the USA or anywhere else in the world.  Headliners over here, they play 2nd or 3rd down the bill in their homeland to smaller audiences.

I too balked at the price though.  Fancy hardware or not, the price will always rightly or wrongly be measured against an SE245, which most shops are struggling to shift at £399 new.

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited September 2016
    StefB said:

Black Stone Cherry are FAR bigger in the UK than in the USA or anywhere else in the world.  Headliners over here, they play 2nd or 3rd down the bill in their homeland to smaller audiences.

Ok that makes more sense - just assumed them being an American Band playing Southern Rawk they were bigger over the pond!

• Is it comparable in quality to, say, a Les Paul Studio? OK it may not have been made on the same continent (nobody ever says their trainers needed to be made in the US, do they...?) but could it be as good a guitar?