Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

£859 for a PRS SE......?

What's Hot

Comments

• Is it comparable in quality to, say, a Les Paul Studio? OK it may not have been made on the same continent (nobody ever says their trainers needed to be made in the US, do they...?) but could it be as good a guitar?
    Korean/Chinese/etc factories will build whatever they're paid to build at whatever standard they're being paid to build it to.  It could easily be as good as any Gibson USA guitar or it could be complete junk that PRS are hoping to make a huge profit on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    bobliefeld said:

or it could be complete junk that PRS are hoping to make a huge profit on.
    Not likely prs don't release junk guitars ever.  Someone might not like their guitars but they're never badly made.  You also don't make huge profits on any guitars under £1000.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420

StefB said:

I too balked at the price though.  Fancy hardware or not, the price will always rightly or wrongly be measured against an SE245, which most shops are struggling to shift at £399 new.

£399 is the se standard which are made in Indonesia and closer in spec to the original se guitars.  You'd have to compare this to the Korean se245 which retails approx £600 in most stores.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Is it comparable in quality to, say, a Les Paul Studio? OK it may not have been made on the same continent (nobody ever says their trainers needed to be made in the US, do they...?) but could it be as good a guitar?

Not likely comparable but most likely exceeding in quality.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MD said:
    bobliefeld said:

or it could be complete junk that PRS are hoping to make a huge profit on.
    Not likely prs don't release junk guitars ever.  Someone might not like their guitars but they're never badly made.  You also don't make huge profits on any guitars under £1000.
    I just mean they're as good as PRS pay them to be.  There's nothing inherently inferior about Korean guitars
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Koreans know how to make guitars too. This isn't even the most expensive guitar/bass coming out of Asia these days.
    Especially the ones at that specific factory, they really know how to make guitars.

It amazes me that people are so convinced that there's something special about Americans that their factory workers are going to be inherently better at making guitars in a production line than workers from other countries.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • My only issue with it is the the top isn't carved... Gotta have a curly top 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    I saw a mint nitro SC245 with 57/08's go for that on facebook.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andyoz said:
    I saw a mint nitro SC245 with 57/08's go for that on facebook.
    Exactly my point :)

I snagged a USA fender jag for similar  money. 
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 681
    My Ravelle I have for sale is Chinese made, it's the second one of these I've had. I've put both of these up against Les Pauls and frankly, the Ravelles are better guitars. Sound, playability, standard of construction, there was no competition. 
  • The LTD KH-602 that comes out of the same factory are over £900. Been playing it as my main guitar for years, feels just as good as my ESP. The ESP does have better wood and is a better quality instrument, but I play the Korean made guitar because it's comfortable, reliable and there's less to worry about.
  • Jack_ said:
    Gibson often get slated for how they're confusing their brand, overlapping model prices of opposing quality etc.

Seems PRS are starting to fall into the same trap.
    Starting to? The PRS range is completely mind boggling. I remember not that long ago when all they did was custom and standard 22 and 24s, now there's over 30 models on the website.
  • If the music importing and distribution is anything like my import and dist business we are looking to have to move prices 10-15% to cover the current dollar rate.

as we get through the summer I expect to see the bought ahead dollars run out and importers having to pass those costs on.

this is a bit of a premium SE but currency post Brexit is going to hurt import prices.

Jack_ said:
    Gibson often get slated for how they're confusing their brand, overlapping model prices of opposing quality etc.

Starting to? The PRS range is completely mind boggling. I remember not that long ago when all they did was custom and standard 22 and 24s, now there's over 30 models on the website.
    Is there any price overlap on the range?
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    New prices going up, and used prices going down..? Hmmmmm..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited September 2016
    thegummy said:
    Jack_ said:

Depends how you view it, you can get a USA S2 Mira for less than this SE, or a USA 22 Standard.
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    not sure what to make of this. On one hand, I think it's great that PRS are making slightly higher end SE's that have some of their USA appointments, such as the 57/08 and bridges (they should do the locking tuners IMO) BUT I think they should have done that INSTEAD of the S2 range rather than as well as. You can pick up an S2 standard for the same money and I don't care what anyone says, you can easily tell the difference between a made in Maryland PRS and ANY SE. It's night and day. 
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited September 2016
    I'vs only compared a few SE's to my Americans and it is night and day.

I guess the S2 had to be introduced ....comparing to Fender:

SE PRS = Made in Mexico
    S2 PRS = USA made Fender
    Normal PRS = Fender Custom Shop
    Private Stock PRS = Masterbuilt
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jack_ said:
    thegummy said:
    Jack_ said:

Depends how you view it, you can get a USA S2 Mira for less than this SE, or a USA 22 Standard.
    Where can you get an S2 Mira for less than £859?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    thegummy said:
    Jack_ said:
    thegummy said:
    Jack_ said:

Where can you get an S2 Mira for less than £859?
    From a quick google andertons have the semi hollow mira's for less.          Quite tempting.  

Normally I'd say having lots of models and ranges is a bad idea and think brands should focus but I quite like the Prs business model of doing small run artist se models - keeps them in the news and if a model really sells fast they can look to making more or a US version.  
    I would still like to see the Bernie marsden as a full PRS though.