How can I quieten a buzzy mains transformer?

ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11893

One of my Focal CMS 65 near field monitor buzzes. If I set it to standby, it carries on, power off and quiet

Sounds like the transformer to me, the in-built amp and speakers work fine

It's a pretty distracting noise sometimes

Any ideas on how to fix it, or should I send it to be fixed? It's not in warranty any more

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    Yes, if it buzzes in standby it is the mains traff. Not a lot you can do about it as you would have to strip out the PSU  to get at it.

On more accessable kit like amps you can often tighten the bolts or, for small "clamp" constructed traffs, put them in a big vice and squeeze them up a bit. Indeed, for small chassis you can often do this without removing the transformer.

So, you will need to take the speaker to a tech for service and even if a transformer can be obtained, be prepared for a hefty bill!

Dave.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited January 2014
    Focal have a 3 year warranty IF you've filled in the warranty card, and sent it to them.
    Not sure if this helps.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11893

ta, I finally found the receipt (July 2011) and manual. old instruction manual said 2 years, I hope they extended it

Otherwise I expect a large bill

• The old trick to stop the buzzing sound of transformers was to remove them out the chassis and warm up some varnish did this many a time and dip them leave to dry say 24 hrs and pop back in.

used to do that back in my servicing days of doing tv repairs..
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    I thought that buzzing transformers meant there is DC on the mains.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum