Crimson Guitar - Stunning-Stains feedback?

What's Hot

Comments

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1075
    Thx WezV  very very helpful,i wish i could wow and wisdom on both the same post ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So i did a little rubbing back of the yellow stain on the rear body and started to apply the RPC today

Mixing at 4-1 i did 16ml of plastic coat + 4ml of hardener that gave me enough for 2 full light coats (done 2 hours apart)

After trying a few of my brushes on a test piece the other day i ended up using a 1" Wilko Nook and Cranny brush

Ive used them before on picture frame refinishes as the they have a tapered end they don't load much and give a very nice smooth finish (i just break off the handle at the bend) also there only £1.50 each and im a cheap bastard ;)

And DAM RPC really does stink and i was glad i spent some decent money on an 3m mask last year for my rattle can spraying!
    i would not use this stuff in your house.

Anyhow's i grabbed a few pics of the first 2 coats & my phone's camera isn't great indoors so these are a little more orange than IRL

I'll move the RPC stuff to a build thread once i do a few more coats.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16647
    Looks good so far, pops the wood nicely.

if you are taking your time with the RPC, it will last a week or so in a sealed container once you mix it.  Even longer if it's stored somewhere cold
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2376
    Looking great! 
    Thanks guys :) It really does help the grain and colour of the stain pop!

Missed my re-coat window by an hour this morning so rather than risk wrinkle i'll let it go for another day and i'll start on a cured layer tomorrow.

• Dan86Dan86 Frets: 116
    edited October 2016
    I found the stains great, had a les paul studio where I could see some flame under the very dark finish. Stripped it all off, sanded, stained with crimsons brown (very dark) sanded back, used the amber and the cherry for a nice sunburst, with PRS style faux binding. Finished with tru oil. Will post more pics of the whole project very soon.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20852209/IMG_2377%20-%20Copy.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20852209/IMG_2379.JPG

My art/photography : http://danuk86.deviantart.com
    Been getting a few coats of the RPC on this past week but due to other commitments i haven't been able to make the less than 12 hour part cure/re-coat window so to avoid wrinkling Ive had to revert to 3-4 coats every other day,this way its getting about 40 hours to cure between every 4 coats so its nice and firm to rub back before the next lot goes on.

the pic below is after about the 8th thin'ish coat had just gone on,i'll get another 4 coats on this Sunday and then leave it for a week to cure solid before buffing it out

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    looks good progress! 
    What ratio of RPC to thinners are you using? and do you get much time to fix runs etc before it gets thick /sticky? 
    Hey Sarge

Im using the rustin's recommend 4-1 so 4ml of hardner & 16ml of plastic coat which gives me 2 full coats im keeping the workshop at about 14 degrees c while im applying it so it doesn't start to tack up much while i brush it on moving to to a warmer area of the house to cure,infact i left the glass jar with about 15ml in out overnight in the shop and it hadn't even filmed over 2 days later.

Ive been coating front > side wipe over to catch runs >back>full coat on sides

I was going to leave it to set for a week but on checking today after a light sand back it seems to have a little sink on some of the soft grain area's of the ash veneer'ed front so many be 1 or 2 more coats on just the front before i set it to cure for a week.
    Thanks for the reply ,  good to hear that the recommended ratio is ok,  I think I'll wait until spring to get mine on the go though as I'm restricted to the shed. 

• How do you get such a shiny finish? I used the black crimson on a kit I put together earlier this year. I used Wudtone on the top, then Crimson black on the back and sides.While the back came out nice and smooth, the sides were rough as a bear's arse, and almost impossible to sand down. I tried putting the Crimson finish over the top but I clearly didn't do it properly because it's as matt as a piece of packing cardboard.

I have plenty of Tru oil I could put over the top, and I think I may even have some of the crimson finish oil, too, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    You won't get a finish with a stain - you need a clear top coat of oil or lacquer (and lots of wet&dry, cutting paste and elbow grease).  On my pic ^^^^ that's after 12 coats of TruOil.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Ah right, cos I thought that was what the Crimson guitar finishing oil was supposed to do, act like the Tru-oil would. I gave it a few coats of that, but obviously either not enough or not properly.

So if I give it another bunch of hard work a la @WezV's post above with some Tru-oil, would that get me closer, then?

Or do I need to do anything else inbetween the Crimson finishing oil and the Tru-oil?

@everyone - apologies for being such a numpty, generally. I'm one of those for whom a little knowledge is clearly a dangerous thing.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    edited October 2016

Or do I need to do anything else inbetween the Crimson finishing oil and the Tru-oil?

Bit of *gentle* sanding in between coats 320grit or finer.  You have to let the oil go off before sanding, in a warm environment that takes 2-3hrs, in a shed at the moment you'll be lucky to get a coat a day done.

Crimson finishing oil and Tru Oil are more or less the same thing - do read and follow the warnings about rag disposal and self-combustion.

A *little* cutting paste/t-cut or whatever for the final buff.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Ok, thanks for that.
    So i know i said i was going to spin this off but as the other thread but as this is still relevant to the Crimson/RPC discussion i'll just keep posting here ;)

Got the RPC glossed up

There's been some slight sink back of the RPC into the olive ash veneer in a few places which i'll touch up over the weekend

Over all i have to say im really happy with the Results of the Crimson stains and the RPC and i'll be using both again very soon.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That looks class!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    edited December 2016
    I've just refinished a GSPBASSES LP Jr in Crimson Cherry Stain and their finishing oil, I'm impressed, the stain was dead easy to apply and the finishing oil, was easier than TruOil as it is thinner........the only slightly ridiculous thing is the amount of stain I received, there must be enough for about 20 guitars......
    Before
    http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/paulnb57/imagejpg1_zpsd0071ce2.jpg

After
    http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/paulnb57/image_zpskfg4xedx.jpeg

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• WezVWezV Frets: 16647
    paulnb57 said:
    the only slightly ridiculous thing is the amount of stain I received, there must be enough for about 20 guitars......

You know what you need to do then :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Wisdom awarded to @WezV ..
    However one Cherry red guitar is enough for me.....but, I do have a Mahogany with Flame Maple thinline tele body that needs a refinish and will be built for th'grandson, so will use it on that, the rest I will probably give away on here.....
    Heres how much I used on the LPjr, thats 4 coats on all the body, the back of the neck and the back of the headstock......

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/paulnb57/image_zpsfigjipld.jpeg

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll