Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Quicky online test "Could you pass GCSE music" - just for fun

What's Hot

Comments

• 14. A* boo yah.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I barely passed first time round, so I very much doubt it.
    <space for hire>
  • 12. Some of it I had very little idea. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Funny story about my 'O'-level Music (yeah, before GCSEs)...

The music teacher strongly recommended I join the school Senior Choir as he felt it would help me with the oral part of the exam (specifically, the sight-singing). I declined as they rehearsed on Friday lunchtimes and that clashed with hockey practice (sidenote: I'm sounding like a Darkness song, here!).

Anyway, guess who was the only candidate to get 100% in their sight-singing? ;)

R.
  • I got 15, btw. :)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28284
    I lost the will to live waiting for the first video to load on my iPad. Gave up
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27948
    I got 12. My inability to identify trombones cost me dearly, as did the flaky videos (or, rather, my lack of patience waiting for things to restart playing).
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1369
    edited September 2016
    I got 10. That wasn't representative of the GCSE Music test I did 7 years ago. I got an A overall, but that was probably down to my performance/composition elements. I also did my musically illiterate brother's composition for his Music GCSE 4 years later. Why he picked music I'll never understand.
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I got 15, I thought I did worse but I got 15 in the end.
  • I can't believe I passed with 13! 
    A couple of lucky guesses in there though!
  • vizviz Frets: 10680
    19 ;) didn't get the cor anglais. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    I still don't know what that is? 
  • 12 here.  Had no ideas about the actual "fortissimo" etc so that was guess work!
  • vizviz Frets: 10680
    viz said:
    I still don't know what that is? 
    It's the inner bit of an apple.  
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24251
    13 for me.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • Huh. 14, apparently "something in the region of an A*". If that's even remotely true, I weep for the new generation's education.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The fact is that no music GCSE exam is purely classical, film and popular music is just as big a part of the listening test as classical. ClassicFM thinks every Music GCSE student is a listener? Or is their test favourable to their listeners? 
  • bbill335 said:
    The fact is that no music GCSE exam is purely classical, film and popular music is just as big a part of the listening test as classical. ClassicFM thinks every Music GCSE student is a listener? Or is their test favourable to their listeners? 
    In fairness, it was when I took it - they basically refused to admit that anything good happened in music after about 1901.
    <space for hire>
    bbill335 said:
    In fairness, it was when I took it - they basically refused to admit that anything good happened in music after about 1901.
    We had Surfin' Bird and 80s Clapton in mine! That was about 7 years ago.

Thing was, being 15 years old, I didn't yet hate Family Guy as I do now. Our music exam was the day after they'd aired the Family Guy Surfin' Bird episode on TV, so when I heard that opening line, I turned around to look at my mate (who I knew had seen the Family Guy episode) and his face was spam pink with stifled laughter. Made the whole thing memorable.
  • bbill335 said:

We had Surfin' Bird and 80s Clapton in mine! That was about 7 years ago.
    Pffft, kids. I took mine in 1992. I had to work pretty damn hard to make them admit that the electric guitar is a genuine musical instrument; they wanted me to play cello instead.
    <space for hire>