Doldrums

What's Hot
DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
edited January 2014 in Technique
So I'm having one of those periods where I feel like I'm getting nowhere with playing and should be shot for picking up a guitar.

Any ideas? What do you normally do when it's just not working?

Edit: Moved to more appropriate sub forum.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Practice bass.

Sounds daft, but the wider spacing and (generally) simpler lines make for a nice finger workout that makes a guitar feel silly comfortable in comparison. I have tiny hands though, so going from first to fourth fret is a stretch on a bass...

Otherwise, try a genre you know literally nothing about?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I like to play drums when guitar gets dull. Don't do something if you're not getting anything from it, there's no point frustrating yourself!

Last time it happened I also got into flight simulator. 
    B-)
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Go for a long walk. Repeat as required.
    (Also works for a variety of other problems requiring  a minor tweak).

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    I seem to permanently inhabit the guitar doldrums ever since I had to give up playing with other people (no time / moving around too much / etc.). Haven't found a solution yet. Playing with other people, or just the prospect of doing so, is usually enough to motivate me and has the added bonus of giving something to focus on while practicing - otherwise, there's so much choice I end up not doing anything, or learning, and quickly forgetting, random incoherent bits (not that I ever knew anything else but random incoherent bits in the first place). 

• I don't know what level you're at but if you haven't played live yet having a date on the calendar is great motivation.  If this is new to you the safest bet is to find when and where the open stage nights are in your area and go to one or two and see what goes on.  Usually people/duo's or whatever get up and do two or three songs each, no pressure.  Unless things have changed drastically in the last 20 years most audiences at these are very forgiving and kind.  Also, if you do have some chops you might see some "acts" there that make you think "hey, I can do better than that!"  Once you've got one of these scoped out, plan a date and work up your songs and go see if you can get on the roster for that night.  A few minutes on stage gives you more insight than several months hard practice.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I get this sometimes, I usually try to listen to some new music or trawl through my collection and find something that I have not listened to for ages. It's a sort of inspiration seeking exercise I guess. Also try to focus on something you know you need to improve and find any free floating tution vids on you tube that focus on the said technique. It sort of gives you a Goal to aim to. I did it with my rhythm playing and it improved quite a bit.

Learn some easier songs than you are used to, that will give you a feeling that you have accomplished something/finished something, do a few songs, they are always handy to have noted down.

:)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Don't know what kind of music you're into, but I'm pretty sure Mr Gilbert might have something that gets you going again:

<space for hire>
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Go to a gig, play a right handed guitar, fidn a new song, find some mates to jam with... play nintendo.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Take a lesson with somebody

find a Jam locally

Take time off everything to practice that lick you always wanted to play but can't (I find that copping a lick is a good jumpstarter)

Get some new chord shapes (stop playing barre chords - other than as singalong accompaniment they sound grotty, and the more instruments, the more grotty they sound)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Some nice ideas here, thanks! Keep 'em coming...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Major on a different instrument for as long as the mood takes you. I go for bass, keys, drums or chapman stick. 
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229
    axisus said:
     chapman stick. 
    Would that be an ML1 or 2?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>