Midi backing tracks live

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
So, Im sure theres been a few threads on this somewhere (or at least on the internet) but I was wondering about my personal situation. 

So we are considering an IEM set up with midi backing tracks to play the less conventional songs (think 1980s synths etc with backing drums etc) and no using a live drummer but having us as a three piece play. 

Now from what Ive read you can either: 

Use and Ipod and an mp3 track and send the track to one side and the click to the other which is fine... 

However, Id be more interested in seeing how the full midi version is done. I have a laptop and a Line 6 Ux2 sound card but I cant quite work out how this would working using full. Whats confused me is one thing Ive read says something along the lines of sending each instrument out to the PA individually which makes me think you'd be need a sound card with inidividal outputs .. 

HALP..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    You could send a mix to the PA or individual outs via a sound card and mix it in the PA desk.   Just use whichever matches the kit you have if it can get it sounding the way you like.    
    Stereo laptop output would really be the same as using a MP3 player etc and one side as a click and one side with the mix.       
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    A lot of guys did use  midi sound modules with multiple outs, out 1&2 would be drums, out 3 could be brass, out 4 could be piano etc. Just means you can vary the mix coming from the midi where's if you use click left channel  and instruments right channel coming from an ipod you can't vary the mix..... your stuck with how you recorded it

A lot of workstation keyboards allow multiple outs, as well as being full on midi sequencers that play the file. Something like a Juno G is good value
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • We do it. Ableton live. We send drums out on their own mix, along with some pre-recorded sounds. We also then send midi out via a Thru box to my pedal board, and to two synths. The synths are essentially "played" by the laptop, and all program changes etc controlled by the laptop. Board and synths also clock synced to the master tracks too. It's fun to watch a sound man shit a kidney when we ask for 7 DIs. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    The polite thing to do if you're turning up with a shitload of line level signals is to bring your own DI boxes. Most touring bands I work with running these kind of setups will have a multi-way DI in a rack and just hand us an XLR loom to plug in. Depending on the level of venues you're hitting, you can't guarantee there'll be more than half a dozen DI boxes kicking about the place, so if it's show-critical, get yer own! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    The funny thing is all the outputs on most keyboards and audio interfaces are balanced anyway, a di box is unnecessary but a lot of sound guys think they need a di box for some reason .... and don't say earth lift as they don't use an earth

Also in the old days were were running signals down 40 metres of snake to reach the desk and it could pick up a bit of noise. Now the stagebox with the AD's is onstage and only the cat 5 cable is travelling 40 metres so again nine times out of ten the di is pointless  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • To be fair, we have varying degrees of contingency plans depending on available equipment, and we ensure tech spec is sent well in advance. We also occasionally take a stage-based mixer, so that we just DI the output of that. 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    edited September 2016
    mike257 said:
    The polite thing to do if you're turning up with a shitload of line level signals is to bring your own DI boxes. Most touring bands I work with running these kind of setups will have a multi-way DI in a rack and just hand us an XLR loom to plug in. Depending on the level of venues you're hitting, you can't guarantee there'll be more than half a dozen DI boxes kicking about the place, so if it's show-critical, get yer own! 
     Totally agree with this, and let any venue you intend to play know how many DI channels you are likely to need, one such band this summer had 15 channels of di coming at me. Fortunately they also had a loom! As to what was in the rack I don't know but they were sending the electronic kit individually along with 10 channels from the DAW (mike257  can probably guess the band!)

As to Danny1969 comment he is correct although most of these Keyboards and sound cards have jack outs and the stage box usually has XLR in so some sort of adaptor is needed any way apart from making up and padding gain which a Di box will do. Also if your setting up a stage for multiple band show you know the line as far as the Di box is good so any problems before  that is down to the instrument

The last piece of advice I would give on this is if you are planning on doing this know your equipment and make sure the volume on the computer and the sound card is up. I can't count the amount of times I've had problems with large computer set ups where its down to one or other of these defaulting to mut when booted up or scene changed etc
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    edited September 2016
    Danny1969 said:
    The funny thing is all the outputs on most keyboards and audio interfaces are balanced anyway, a di box is unnecessary but a lot of sound guys think they need a di box for some reason .... and don't say earth lift as they don't use an earth

Also in the old days were were running signals down 40 metres of snake to reach the desk and it could pick up a bit of noise. Now the stagebox with the AD's is onstage and only the cat 5 cable is travelling 40 metres so again nine times out of ten the di is pointless  
    I'd disagree about long multi runs being a thing of "the old days". Most small venues on the touring circuit are still running their old school multis even if they've gone digital for desks, because they ain't got the money to throw at it.  As you move up to larger scale venues, they typically have to be able to accommodate touring consoles so analogue multis and splits are still a very common sight.  I can think of very few venues I've visited with permanent installs of kit where they've gone down the digital multi route.

Ultimately, you don't know what you're getting until you roll up at the venue, so if your show depends on that kit you should have it racked and ready.  It's a speed of setup thing too - if you're on a festival or multi band bill with a super tight changeover, unfurling an XLR loom from the back of your DI rack and patching it in is tons faster than waiting for the house crew to furnish you with eight individual DI lines and plug all that up.