Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is the most versatile guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    A guitar with coil split humbuckers would be my choice for "most versatile", but then again I'm no fan of the single coil "middle" position on a Strat, so I wouldn't miss it :)

Better still, learn to experiment with your volume and tone knobs, and also use your amp's EQ and vol/ gain settings - you'll be surprised how many bases you can cover with the same guitar just by getting stuck into your amp's controls.

Strat middle position is my fave! 

You're dead right about the tone controls. Best thing I ever did was wiring my Strat bridge to the tone control. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    +1 for a HSS Strat. That's what I got to be my 'versatile' workhorse.
  • IslandapeIslandape Frets: 64
    edited January 2014
    Not tried one, but for those that suggest a tele, how about the Nashville versions with Strat middle pickups?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited January 2014
    Islandape said:
    Not tried one, but for those that suggest a tele, how about the Nashville versions with Strat middle pickups?
    I've had them in the past- they work great.
    Even better if you can wire it so one of the options on the 5 way is the neck and bridge in series (faux humbucker).
  • dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    Guitar with seymour duncan P-rails; any combination you like of humbuckers, P90s and single coils with plenty of wiring options for splitting, series or parallel and in/out of phase. I've just fitted a pair to a strat and find them very versatile
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Better still, learn to experiment with your volume and tone knobs, and also use your amp's EQ and vol/ gain settings - you'll be surprised how many bases you can cover with the same guitar just by getting stuck into your amp's controls.

Exactly. At opposite ends of the spectrum, while a Variax is clearly the most versatile in terms of how many different sounds it has on board without adjusting the amp, a Telecaster used like that can be almost as flexible. It's not "all in the hands" but a lot of it is how you use the gear as much as the gear itself.

Skarloey said:

You're dead right about the tone controls. Best thing I ever did was wiring my Strat bridge to the tone control. 
    Same here. I'm not a fan of the 'quack' positions though - the neck/middle isn't too bad, but the bridge/middle sounds dreadful in my hands. I wish it was easy to make that position bridge/neck without using a Superswitch or making the switch order confusing...

My Strat-like guitar has a master tone control... much more useful. I don't really know why Fender still fit the 'modern' ones with two.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    I own a tele, I own a strat,  as good as a tele is, it is a long long way from being as versatile as an H-S-S strat.

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Variax any model. Most versatile guitar in the world as a stand alone unit. You simply cannot argue with that. Not saying its best !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A good Eggle Berlin Pro is extremely versatile
  • If the Swiss Army made guitars then it would be one of them.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • A good Eggle Berlin Pro is extremely versatile

Agreed, but does it sound like an acoustic, or Ricky 12st or dobro, or tele or gretsch, maybe a danelectro open tuned to e or a 335 tuned to open G ? Most Versatile is what OP said, that's the Variax.
    If the Swiss Army made guitars then it would be one of them.
    If the Swiss Army made guitars it would be an Eggle/Levinson Berlin Pro with VSC :).

AuldReekie knows exactly what I mean!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited January 2014

Skarloey
    said:

Same here. I'm not a fan of the 'quack' positions though - the neck/middle isn't too bad, but the bridge/middle sounds dreadful in my hands. I wish it was easy to make that position bridge/neck without using a Superswitch or making the switch order confusing...

My Strat-like guitar has a master tone control... much more useful. I don't really know why Fender still fit the 'modern' ones with two.

On my Strat I went for the option of volume, master tone and third control as a blend knob to get neck and bridge. 

For a while I had that set up with a rails HB in the bridge. It was pretty good. I reckon that set up with a humbucker in the neck as well, and coil splits on both HBs, would pretty much cover everything for me. 

I'd better shut up now 'cause I'm giving myself GAS. 
  • Johnny Marr Jaguar?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27434
    I'd vote for either a Variax or a Godin XTSA.

The Variax gives you a whole range of guitar sounds, but always feels like the same guitar.  That same feel is either a good or bad thing, depending on your preferences.  

It's a good thing if you prefer to get used to the feel of one guitar rather than different scale lengths, neck profiles, weights (etc) of all the different models in the Variax.  Remember also that the Variax comes with the Workbench software, so you can create more-or-less any (emulated) sound you can dream of.  All from the one guitar.

It's a bad thing if you think that your style of playing changes when you play those different guitars, and that the change in playing style contributes to the different creating the sounds ...

The XTSA combines a fairly flexible range of sounds from normal mag pickups (H-S-H), with a piezo for the acoustic-ish sounds AND a synth output so you can create all sorts of wierd sounds from your guitar, either in isolation or blended with the p'up output.

I have both.  

They're far more versatile than any other guitar can ever be, in terms of the range of sounds that you can produce.  I can't comment on how practical either would be as a live performance tool (I'm not a liver performer!) but they're huge fun as home-based, fun-creating hours-wasting guitars.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    I don't like changing guitars so I gig with an HSS Strat. They can do most things and they have a trem.

It's tempting to think an HH guitar with splits can do it all, but splits never sound quite as good as a proper single.

Fret King do a lot of "do it all" guitars:

• PRS DGT, gets close enough with the tapped humbuckers to most guitar sounds you could need.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    impmann said:
    Telecaster. 

The Swiss Army can stand down, for this exists.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."

Fret King do a lot of "do it all" guitars

Do they design them by getting a bunch of blind monkeys to randomly assemble mismatching guitar parts until they have something which has them all in roughly the right places?

Dear God. The middle one isn't *too* bad, but the others...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

Fret King do a lot of "do it all" guitars

Do they design them by getting a bunch of blind monkeys to randomly assemble mismatching guitar parts until they have something which has them all in roughly the right places?

Dear God. The middle one isn't *too* bad, but the others...
    I didn't say they looked good now did I

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom