Aaargh, use of the dreaded 'Lester' word seems to be on the up...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I use the term but see absolutely no problem with it  Les is after all just an abbreviation of Lester.  It is the man's name after all.  Why is it a problem?

If you can't respectfully mess a bit with the names of anything don't say Merc, Beemer, Scooby, Ibby, Strat, Tele etc etc.......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    Richardj said:
    I use the term but see absolutely no problem with it  Les is after all just an abbreviation of Lester.  It is the man's name after all.  Why is it a problem?
    He called himself Les Paul, not Lester Paul or even Lester Polsfuss, once he had the choice.

The guitar was never called a Lester. I don't find it as annoying as "she", "axe" or the butter references, but it's still pointless… it's not an abbreviation, since it's longer than the correct word.

If it makes any more sense I find "Beemer" and "Ibby" equally dickish.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    Richardj said:
    I use the term but see absolutely no problem with it  Les is after all just an abbreviation of Lester.  It is the man's name after all. 
    hear hear
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited January 2014
    Fair point, well made!   I'm still on my first cup of coffee.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Scooby.. *shudder*
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10354
    edited January 2014 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Richardj said:
    He called himself Les Paul, not Lester Paul or even Lester Polsfuss, once he had the choice.

The guitar was never called a Lester. I don't find it as annoying as "she", "axe" or the butter references, but it's still pointless… it's not an abbreviation, since it's longer than the correct word.

The term Lester came originally from the album Les Paul made with Chet Atkins in 1976 with the Title Chester and Lester ... after it's release, guitar shops were full of people talking about Les Pauls as Lesters ....
    jeez it's geeky that I should know that ...I know!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7412
    The one that makes me cringe is "Axe" 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    ICBM said:
    Richardj said:

The term Lester came originally from the album Les Paul made with Chet Atkins in 1976 with the Title Chester and Lester ... after it's release, guitar shops were full of people talking about Les Pauls as Lesters ....
    jeez it's geeky that I should know that ...I know!

I've still got that album on vinyl .... not the finest work of either guitarist! :-S
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    impmann said:
    When I was a teenager and before someone corrected me I thought it was pronounced in the French way - ie (phonetically) Lay Paul...

Hey ho..
    Don't worry - I still pronounce Epiphone "epiphany".  I actually think it sounds better than Eppy-phone.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7335
    epi-phany sounds about right...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    epi-phany sounds about right...
    When they've been running competitions and stuff on the radio, or even in guitar shops they always say Eppy-phone.  I was very surprised when I first heard it!
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5013
    edited January 2014
    Richardj said:

If you can't respectfully mess a bit with the names of anything don't say Merc, Beemer, Scooby, Ibby, Strat, Tele etc etc.......
    Your examples are abbreviations (and one rhyming slang) and we all shorten words for convenience sometimes, but we don't generally lengthen them.

Do people talk about their 'Steven' or their 'Joseph' when referring to their Ibanez signatures? Of course they don't as they'd be regarded as utter tools! 

I don't really care if people want to refer to their LP as a Lest... (it's no good I can't bring myself to write it) I just personally think it's indescribably naff and started this thread to share that. It's only IMHO obviously. 
    :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    impmann said:
    When I was a teenager and before someone corrected me I thought it was pronounced in the French way - ie (phonetically) Lay Paul...

Hey ho..
    For a long time when I was lusting over guitars in my early-to-mid teens, I thought that "Epiphone" was pronounced "Epiphany". Because, you know, that would make more sense for a musical instrument.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Makes me cringe every time I read it. Maybe if there's an optional profanity filter introduced on here the words Lester, butter and buttah could be included?!
    Woah there... you have crossed a line, what's wrong with Lester?

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Les Paul's real name was Lester William Polsfuss. So that is why they sometimes get called Lesters.
    No shit Sherlock...   ;)
    Actually this is an urban myth. Afficionados will know that the term "Lester" is a mis-spelling of the name of the hometown of 70's supergroup Showadywaddy who hail from Leicester in the United Kingdom of England. 
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    impmann said:

Hey ho..
    When I was a teenager, I had read (a number of times, in guitar magazines) about a track by Jimi Hendrix that I assumed to be a song devoted to a spicy foodstuff.

It was a few years later that I actually heard it and realised my error, and 'Voodoo Chile' was in fact not something you'd serve with rice.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I grew up thinking the The Overtone's song Groovin' - had the lyrics:

Life could be ecstasy,
    You and me and Leslie..
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Great. Another 'things I hate' thread.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    martinw said:
    Great. Another 'things I hate' thread.
    Yep, more misanthropic (look it up numpty) whining.

Pretty clear "Lester" is a term of endearment used by Les Paul guitar affcianados.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Yeah. Just like "Landie" is used by Land Rover aficionados, and "Splitty" is used by VW aficionados. Completely fine. Both make me cringe involuntarily, but fine. ;)