Spalted Beech

What's Hot

No pics I'm afraid, just a question.

Does a solid spalted beech (Fagus sylvectica 'Purpurea') bodied guitar sound any good?  Is beech any good for a guitar body?

Only reason I ask is in the start of the storms, beginning of December, I got called out to sort out a big wind blow beech and noticed it was really well spalted as the roots were rotten on one side, but didn't have any rot in the trunk.  So I chopped it up and that's firewood.

Another has just literally fallen down near me a few hours ago, must be the heavy soil causing their roots to rot, wasn't even a wind, just fell over.  It's a similar size (3-4' trunk).  Would it be worth planking any timber and storing it to take down the timber yard to get thicknessed in a few years time?  Or should I chop it up for firewood too?

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited January 2014
    Fagus sylvectica is European beech.
    Beech is a problematic material- it moves a lot more than alder, mahogany and most other woods.
    It is unstable as a guitar wood.
    Don't let it stop you but I would absolutely use quartersawn, if you can manage it.

Regarding seasoning- yes absolutely season it but you want to store it in the right environment and you want to make sure it doesn't dry out too quickly.
    You have to watch for casehardening and honeycombing.
    If you want me to describe these in more detail just ask.

• octatonic said:
    Fagus sylvectica is European beech.
    Beech is a problematic material- it moves a lot more than alder, mahogany and most other woods.
    It is unstable as a guitar wood.
    Don't let it stop you bujt I would absolutely use quartersawn, if you can manage it.

Regarding seasoning- yes absolutely season it but you want to store it in the right environment and you want to make sure it doesn't dry out too quickly.
    You have to watch for casehardening and honeycombing.
    If you want me to describe these in more detail just ask.

I have never found Beech to be problematic, hence all the uses in food industry for chopping boards and stuff. I have made all sorts of things out of it. Like this. http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/bargoedboy/TeleSideways.jpg
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited January 2014
    As I said, don't let it stop you from using it but beech is fairly well known to have stability issues.

"Workability: Overall good workability; it machines well, and glues, finishes, and turns well. Beech also responds superbly to steam-bending. It does, however, have a large amount of movement in service, so movement and wood stability must be taken into account."
  • Sambostar said:

No pics I'm afraid, just a question.

Does a solid spalted beech (Fagus sylvectica 'Purpurea') bodied guitar sound any good?  Is beech any good for a guitar body?

Only reason I ask is in the start of the storms, beginning of December, I got called out to sort out a big wind blow beech and noticed it was really well spalted as the roots were rotten on one side, but didn't have any rot in the trunk.  So I chopped it up and that's firewood.

Another has just literally fallen down near me a few hours ago, must be the heavy soil causing their roots to rot, wasn't even a wind, just fell over.  It's a similar size (3-4' trunk).  Would it be worth planking any timber and storing it to take down the timber yard to get thicknessed in a few years time?  Or should I chop it up for firewood too?

Good stuff if it's free, have it. Lots of good uses for Beech,pianos are often made from Beech , easy to shape like Ash.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I always found beech a bit boring.  Utilitarian.  Well easy to split though. I'II have a look and chop it up for firewood id no good.  Thanks!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16655
    it is boring.... until its spalted

i did a spalted beech topped tele similar to kones years ago its it was absolutely fine.   I think i would heed octatonics advise and avoid using it for necks or acoustics.   personally i wouldn't use it for electric bodies as i have also played a beech guitar that sounded awful  but never let that put you off.   Perfect for a nice top though

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Hi 
    In commercial use Beech is often treated and processed or used in various laminations to prevent movement.

It needs to very well seasoned or commercially treated.

If not you would not want to use it for necks or structural parts.

You could pick the nicest spalting saw to 1/4 inch use a stabiliser to force out the water and then use it as a top laminate but once treated it is harder to take a commercial or nitro finish.

regards Jez
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV;127241" said:
    it is boring.... until its spalted

i did a spalted beech topped tele similar to kones years ago its it was absolutely fine.   I think i would heed octatonics advise and avoid using it for necks or acoustics.   personally i wouldn't use it for electric bodies as i have also played a beech guitar that sounded awful  but never let that put you off.   Perfect for a nice top though

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/complete guitars/wv2.jpg
    Wow!
  • I wouldn't use it for necks, but for a top or even the main body with a laminate on top no problems. I used mine and did a variety of finishes without any problems. Mine used to look more like Wezv before I stained it. http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/bargoedboy/3505ad70-2630-493f-8012-356b80be5df6_zpsbb788fd9.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wouldn't use it for necks, but for a top or even the main body with a laminate on top no problems. I used mine and did a variety of finishes without any problems. Mine used to look more like Wezv before I stained it. http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/bargoedboy/3505ad70-2630-493f-8012-356b80be5df6_zpsbb788fd9.jpg
    Wow! The spaltingness made itself a flame outline!

Seriously, that is one awesome looking guitar.  
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Judging from the replies thus far, I'd suggest using it as a top!
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

I thought about it and I can't be arsed to go through the rig moral of seasoning it, not worth the effort of storing it, plus I don't have much space, so I'm gonna chop kit up.  Even if I store it, I'II never get around to getting it thicknessed. It may not be spalted like the other one anyways....one hopes.

I think I am sticking to buying seasoned thicknesses wood, even if it does cost a few quid. Or at least stuff from the large timber yards that I can get planned and thicknessed locally.

The tele's look nice BTW, just not doing it for me.  If it was birdseye or curly maple or something....