Roast my legato technique

Yes, its not very exciting muscially (well.. at all) but just getting my drills back in order.. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10643
    edited September 2016
    Roast it? It's well done!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, well played. I'm going to have to practice that one.
    It's not a competition.
  • Sounds smooth.   
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Well played captain.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    Fanks! Its not bad but ill prob do a few more videos soon with proper legato stuff in it.. like musically.. :) 

• Can't quite hear if you're playing straight semiquaver triplets or if the rhythm changes? Might help you to get it tighter if you slow it down slightly and try to play without picking at all, just hammerons and pulloffs.

Looks like a good exercise though :)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Sounds like septuplets to me- the 'full roll'.
    its 5 notes per click, quintuplets... 
  • That's good work, dude. If I was going to get really picky, there seems to be a slight inconsistency on the move between the G and the B strings. I have similar issues between D and G, no idea why as yet. Might have to get the video camera out and start getting all analytical...
    <space for hire>
    The first run isnt good, the second is much better
  • I'm having a bit of trouble making it out. Is the first repeated pattern something like this? But I've probably got it completely wrong.

http://i.imgur.com/km9lomA.png
    It's not a competition.
    Yes indeed. Basically, it's a Martin Goulding routine repeated in different 3nps modes 
  • Like a couple of others have said, the rhythm is difficult to make out and kinda gives the impression it isn't executed quite in the pocket. But from what you're saying, it sounds like one of those sorts of licks that isn't particularly strict. You clearly have the speed and finger dexterity part down, but it does sound like some of the rhythm and sounding of the notes could benefit from some attention. Watched a couple of your other videos, and you obviously have chops!

If you haven't seen it, it's worth taking a look at Marshall Harrison's video on legato, where he contrasts, in fairly austere tones, 'proper legato' and 'heavy metal legato'. You don't have to share his zero tolerance of the heavy metal legato (I don't, I think it sounds pretty cool at times), but it's undeniable the skills Marshall has, and his legato sounds utterly amazing. 

I obviously can't play like him, and I can't do legato in his 'all hammer ons' way at all, but just having some awareness about the principle of sounding each note cleanly that it gives helped me tidy up my legato playing a little.

• I only got 2:43, it seems like subtle variations of the same wanky bullshit and ripping on petrucci for playing staccato when he cant articulate the bottom string with out a metric shit load of noise seems pretty hypocritical. 

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ