Cheap Keyboard That Isn't Rubbish

We have a first dance to do this weekend that necessitates a keyboard for a piano ballad, and have had to borrow one as we don't have one.

Would like to invest in one so we don't have to rely on borrowing one in future, plus also toying with the idea of a few keyboard parts in the odd song here and there...but it will very rarely get used so I don't want to spend a lot and will only need the most basic of functions, namely:

Halfway decent piano sound
Touch responsive keys (believe it or not, some cheap keyboards still aren't responsive to how hard you hit the keys....)
A few usable other sounds like hammondesque sounds, usable synth sound.

Midi not required, in-depth editability of sounds not required.

I am lookingfor something  ultra cheap here, what is the price point at which they start to meet these criteria and what makes/ models should I keep an eye out for?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You can get one on ebay for under 50 quid that meets those requirements. Something like the Yamaha PSR range will do fine.

My mum has a Yamaha PSR 400 that she doesn't want any more and I was going to sell it for her on ebay for something like £40 quid, but never got round to it. Shame she's in Manchester and you're in Birmingham.
  • Do the keys need to be weighted? 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    For ultra cheap yeah the Yam PSR range @Maynehead mentioned is pretty good ... I have one. 

If you want to spend £200 ish then a Roland Juno D is a good bet, I use one myself 

On ebay here 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    The touch-sensitivity on the PSR range is quite poor - I'm not actually sure if there are more than two levels, at least if my kids' old PSR-295 is representative… although it is quite an old model now. The sounds are good though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein